N2 Filament run-out sensor review

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
bankie

N2 Filament run-out sensor review

Postby bankie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:48 am

Hi,

I am looking to buy the N2 Filament Run-Out Sensor.

Is it good or is there anything I should be aware of ?

Thank you.

Spikeysonic

Re: N2 Filament run-out sensor review

Postby Spikeysonic » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Triling it so not sure but one thing... it HAS o be installed from the USB Stick --- NOT an internet connection and you go in and select USB as though gettign a gcide print off it. If you go through the settings all you do is download the mainstream board firmware NOT the one with the filament sensor firmware on top

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Here's my honest thought. You can 3D print probably a better sensor system if you are a DIY and fairly competent at 3D printers and microswitches. The firmware does the magic of pausing whenever the input is shorted to ground. There are hundreds of designs on thingiverse.

If you aren't the soldering and wiring type, and that's OK, then buy the kit.
As far as being aware of, the issue is the factory filament detector has more drag and can bind the filament and may itself require some minor mods to reduce that drag, and may not detect all filaments.

Just trying to be as full and open about it as I can.

danderson

Postby danderson » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:56 pm

I installed the filament run-out sensor shortly after I purchased an N2 Plus. It has been working great for over a year. I didn't like the factory method of mounting the sensor. I tried a thingiverse mount to locate it above the extruder (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2928920), but I did not care for this either. It made the extruder taller that I would prefer, and it made unloading filament more difficult, as I could not cut the filament when removing it - the melted bulb of plastic always had to pass through the sensor. The Pro2 printers are like this, but for some reason I don't have that struggle - maybe it is the pre-load before the unload, but not sure...

I did end up using this mount from thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2970792. It works great, is easy to load and unload, and I have access to the filament between the sensor and the extruder in case I need to trim anything. I would definitely recommend this setup.

Return to “Hardware”