Project Bondtech Extruder

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
jmp

Re: Project Bondtech Extruder

Postby jmp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:28 am

Haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet but is sure looks pretty.
2016-06-18 15.57.01.jpg
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:57 am

Thanks. Reading through the thread I was not sure if a fully workable bowden solution was working for the Raise3D N2 dual. Is it?
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 am

Johnsays: they have a dual setup if i remember correctly but its ONE direct drive and 1 Bowden setup.

Dont think i saw a dual direct drive upgrade yet

RogerSt

Postby RogerSt » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:43 pm

If they have a dual direct drive upgrade, i would like to update
Raise3D N2 Plus
Prusa i2 MK3
Mankati Fullscale XT Plus
C-Bot C-D1
M3D
M3D Pro

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 pm

So socke actually answered my question on the previous page. Essentilally he says his bowden is working as well as the direct drive, but with a little more stringing with PETG.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

socke

Postby socke » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 pm

JohnSays wrote:So socke actually answered my question on the previous page. Essentilally he says his bowden is working as well as the direct drive, but with a little more stringing with PETG.

Now I would say it with other words: Add 50% of the rectract, you usually take for direct drive and you are fine for the bowden. ;-)

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 pm

The problem with a dual direct drive system is that the QR release gets in the way of parts, the cable chain is exactly where it needs to go. The solution would be to figure out how to shift the connection point for the cable chain and extruder board.

I think some of my issues with getting it to work before one of my hotends died, was I was running the QR at the wrong speed. It is supposed to be at 476.5 and I had it at 492. as was stated in these forums.

I think I have figured out a way to program the hybrid settings better. Ultimate, Ideamaker needs to be upgraded to support the Hybrid
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

socke

Postby socke » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Yes, there may be other possible ways to go - but why don't you like the firmware hack? The advantage is it works and is already available. Also the M221 command could be an option.
Further, why do you think the E value is wrong?

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm not saying the hack is wrong. Actually my plan uses the hack but makes it adjustable using gcode.

I wasn't really able to use the bowden before it would fail. the QR I got says it should be at 476.5
printers:

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm

I am 50% complete with this project and wondering why it took me so long to do. This BondTech upgrade was simple and it flys.... I am averaging on the first 3 prints 90mm/s with no issues and great quality. I have the QR for the bowden tube but have not gotten that far, it sounds like from what Derick reported g-code script mods are pretty straight forward. I haven't ventured in to modifying the firmware as I still am not experienced in this area. Has anybody tired this script mod and what are your results...
I will be traveling starting today so I can't do anything until next week.
Attachments
20160624_085823 (Medium).jpg

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:32 am

Where in the U.S. (websire) do I buy a dual BondTech? Or do I buy it from BondTech directly?

I've just been on the BonTech.se website and am confused about what parts to buy. I see the Extruder Kit and the SLS Parts. so I assume that I get both. But what extruders to buy? I don't see anything that says "bowden," so what extruder is used for that and is there a kit to mount it?
- John

venosa

Postby venosa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:06 am

JohnSays wrote:Where in the U.S. (websire) do I buy a dual BondTech? Or do I buy it from BondTech directly?

I've just been on the BonTech.se website and am confused about what parts to buy. I see the Extruder Kit and the SLS Parts. so I assume that I get both. But what extruders to buy? I don't see anything that says "bowden," so what extruder is used for that and is there a kit to mount it?

I think you need
this: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits ... ybrid.html
this: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/bo ... ersal.html
Maybe this... http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/components/p ... 64-mm.html

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:15 am

Thank you venosa. Don't I need more than one BondTech extruder for a dual setup?
- John

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:58 am

The Extruder Kit uses one of the steppers from your printer to create a direct driver extruder (primary extruder)
The QR universal is setup as a bowden (secondary extruder).

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:01 am

Ok, no it makes sense. I thought the QR was the direct drive... Thanks!
- John

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 am

direct drive using stepper motor from printer.

IMG_0534.JPG

bowden installed by filament, the Bondtech QR universal

IMG_0535.JPG

They have a kit for everything now at the Bondtech site.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:36 am

my second V2 hotend is toast atm, I'm considering putting my good V1 hotend back in. I was able to print HIPs with it before. So it may still work for my needs. I'm debating making a custom mounting block for the QR universal to add in a way to secure the bowden tube. I just finished a 60+ print today using Raise3D ABS during a heatwave.
printers:

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:08 am

Johnsays,
To ensure you get all the right parts I suggest contacting Martin who designed this with the guidance and support of our community, you can reach him at:

martin@bondtech.se

Venosa is right on the money with the components however....

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:30 am

How do you mount the Bowden extruder in the N2?

Bondtech

Postby Bondtech » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:17 pm

The Bondtech QR Extruder uses the standardmount combined with a special mounting plate that allow the extruder to be placed on the side plate of the printer just over the filament roll as you can see on the below photo from user Socke.

The standard mount can be downloaded here as a stl-file. STL-file
The mounting plate can be downloaded here as a stl-file. STL-file

You will need 3 pcs of M5 thread inserts like theese: Link
and a 3 pcs of M5x10 bolt like theese: Link

Extruder mounted:

Mounting plate:

Return to “Hardware”