Dual Extruder with Autolifting Nozzles

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Wolfman

Dual Extruder with Autolifting Nozzles

Postby Wolfman » Thu May 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Will this work with the N2 plus?

http://www.dglass3d.com/products/hpx2max/

It has autolifiting dual nozzles, and one motor. It can prevent the second nozzle from knocking down or damaging the print during material prints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7D1I59mFo

Wolfman

Re: Dual Extruder with Autolifting Nozzles

Postby Wolfman » Thu May 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Looks like they sell just the hotends too that are compatible with existing extruders and can also auto lift!

http://www.dglass3d.com/products/autolift-hot-ends/

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 pm

You would have to custom machine the tops of them (groove mount cut away to match the square head of the stock hotend, custom create firmware, figure out additional wiring, reverse engineer the control boards (we have some info, but not all info), pray that you don't break anything with front panel LCD code or resume functions.

Call me skeptical, but not worth the time or money. Definitely not anywhere near "compatible" for a vast majority of owners here.
And, it looks like you probably add moving mass and reduce build height because they are longer and thus a problem on that too.

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:03 am

I was actually looking at those. Jetguy why would it requiring additional wiring? Then it has a heating element, thermocoupler and a fan unless I'm mistaken so does the Raise3d. They are mechanical actuated threw the retraction of the filament. To be honest I've been traveling and haven't had a chance to completely disassemble the machine and put it back together to figure out all ways to enhance it.

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 am

If anyone's interested I did a check and it only eats up 3/16" of print volume. Only reason I'm interested is in all the research I did for buying a printer the main reason I got this one was build volume. From all the reviews I've watched on youtube there's been alot of complaints about print head strikes when trying to print 2 colors. Maybe they don't have them configured right but I could see how it could be an issue.

I'm either getting a dual E3D V6 or one of the dglass units. Maybe I'll buy one of each and give it a shot.

DennisC

Postby DennisC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Sounds intereasting to me.
I also think about a way to lift the second nozzle.
I'm sure there are a few ways to build the hardware, my problem is the software.
Is there a G-Code to switch an I/O-Output on the mainboard to control such a mechanism ?
There is a free port on the Mainboard for a sichst MotorDriver, could this be a way ?

Return to “Hardware”