Has anyone done a 32bit upgrade to the N2 series?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Diagro

Re: Has anyone done a 32bit upgrade to the N2 series?

Postby Diagro » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:02 am

I have a spare SKR Mini E3 board from my Ender 3.

Its a 32bit board.

I'm thinking, that the Only issue with using a new board is the thermocoupler.

Whats stopping me from using a standard Thermistor? Absolutely nothing. What's stopping me using a standard 24v 40W heater cartridge? Again absolutely nothing.

I have plenty with very long cables from my E3d V6 J head clones.
The stepper motors use the same connectors. So would just plug in.
The heated bed, may be a pain, but it's possible to buy new heated beds with simple 2 wire power and standard thermistor connection.

I don't see this being a big job at all, just plenty of rewiring to do.

I'm currently fighting my stock main board... Its refusing to connect to the PC due to reporting as an unreasonable USB device. And now I'm having some serious layer shift. I think it's simply due to be replaced.

I did look into buying a new stock main board, but the only reseller who has one said it also refused to be recognised on his PC

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm currently fighting my stock main board... Its refusing to connect to the PC due to reporting as an unreasonable USB device. And now I'm having some serious layer shift. I think it's simply due to be replaced.
It's a classic USB to serial port driver using the old code back from Makerbot days.
https://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA#RUMBA_USB ... or_Windows

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Also, consider the LCD control panel with direct SD card method of printing.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 pm

A brief follow up on my experience with an N2 running with the Duet2 Wifi board.

Real happy with the outcome. The touch screen is not in used. I got an old iPad2 from my daughter and have that by the printer just with the web browser for printer control. Landcape - Portrait mode cuts down the number of buttons on the manual control screen. I also keep a browser tab on my phone open to the printer (local only), so I can check up on things or control it from the couch.

In short - better prints in less time with the Duet.

I looked at an old print job where I was running eSun PC for some print head parts. Wanted them to look nice so was running slow - 25mm/s. The last batch of the same parts on the Duet ran at 50mm/s (no slow down on outer perimeter or solid infill) - and the parts were better looking than anything I got pre-Duet. The Pressure Advance and Dynamic Acceleration features are fantastic. A side effect of the Pressure Advance is less ooze. It causes the extruder to start off faster and then back off at the end of a line - sorta' like COAST, but a lot smarter. With less pressure in the extruder at retraction points, it oozes a lot less. Some coast is still required on some setups.

I run the Bondtech extruders. I was running some mass production in CF Nylon. Comparing parts side by side from the Raise controller and Duet powered machines, the surface finish of the parts from the Duet board were better - smoother.

It's great being able to put a few lines of GCODE in a macro file and have it as a new button on the web control screen - and tweaking other aspects of firmware settings without having to be compiler savvy.

The BL Touch is also a great addition - using that as the z axis endstop, no more fiddling with the screw, and no longer need to consider gantry sag when setting up.

With the Duet board on the N2, my N2+ has been sitting idle because the Duet powered machine is that much better. I ran the N2 plus for one part that was 18" tall - and wished I had the Duet board for it.

Currently the N2+ is in pieces getting the same upgrade. When I have them both up and running, I'll work on upgrading the N2 to the RepRap V3 firmware. It's not a plug-n-play upgrade, so I want to wait until I have a backup printer. I'll use the same iPad for both printers when I get the N2+ up and running - just keep them both open in different browser tabs - maybe with different color schemes on the web interface to avoid confusion.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 pm

Very cool Zemlin. Thanks for the update.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 am

A warning - I just learned that making a ribbon cable extension to between the Duet board and the Thermocouple daughter board is a bad idea. The communication protocol used on the daughterboards does not do well over any significant distance. I guess I've been lucky on my N2 - Thought the N2+ was going to go live today, but can't get stable extruder temp readings.

Return to “Hardware”