What killed my touch screen

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
JohnSays

What killed my touch screen

Postby JohnSays » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:43 pm

My printer has been sitting unused since about last May or June. I turned it on yesterday and let the battery charge overnight. When I tried to print I found that the left upper section of the LCD screen does not respond to touch. The rest does. So, for example, I cannot set the extrusion temp directly.

I took the LCD box apart and removed the main board in it to the point where I could check the LCD connectors. They all look good -- harnesses and flat wires look to be seated perfectly. I found one loose wire, the black side of red and black wires connecting to the green terminal block on the small board. That was the first thing and only thing I found that was off.

So, my question: How does a touch screen go bad by simply sitting idle?

I did do some work on the motion board end of things. I had to get some wiring in and out of that area to correctly wire in a Berd Air pump. Was there some wire there that I could have pulled on to cause this? I can't find it if there is one. All the connectors on the motion board appear to be solid.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

JohnSays

Re: What killed my touch screen

Postby JohnSays » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm

I just got off the phone with TS and they tell me I need a new touch controller. That will cost about $450. So, I'll use my mouse and/or wireless control for now. I can buy an entire CoreXY printer for $450!

This might be a good time to do the 32bit upgrade and scrap the R3D interface.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

JohnSays

Re: What killed my touch screen

Postby JohnSays » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm

I bit of good luck and the reason I keep old parts around: I had an LCD control box that died and was replaced under warranty with the box that is currently not working (years later). I took the LCD out of the old box and put it in the newer box and now I have a working touch screen again. So, problem solved.
- John

Return to “Hardware”