KevinOConnor/klipper Firmware

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
FreedomRules

KevinOConnor/klipper Firmware

Postby FreedomRules » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:57 am

Has anyone flashed this firmware onto a Raise3d printer? If so whats your thoughts...

EldRick

Re: KevinOConnor/klipper Firmware

Postby EldRick » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:55 pm

It would appear that no-one knows what you are referring to.

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:03 pm

It would appear your right. I guess instead of wasting my time trying to get it to work with Raise3D hardware. I'll just buy a Duet2 board and hook it up and then use it with the Klipper firmware. Basically your 3D printers board just handles the movements. All the calculations are done on another machine running a Klipper master that then sends a stream of movements to the board. Allows for more advanced calculations as most 8 bit controllers take shortcuts on the calculations due to lack of process power for advanced calculations.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Did you ever do this? I'm thinking of replacing the entire electronics of the N2 on one of my machines as I am speed limited by the 8-bit board.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

allanzo

Postby allanzo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:22 pm

I have been using Klipper on my N2 for the past year and I would never consider going back to Marlin at this point. You will lose the touch screen but gain a web interface, I think there are 3 or 4 choices of web interface. The print quality is so much better. You can read about the features: https://www.klipper3d.org/Features.html
You don't need to replace the Rumba, just plug a Rasp Pi into it. The Pi will do all the work. I'm using a Pi 4 with 4 gigs ram. If you want better drivers and a higher step rate, you can just connect another board to the Pi like the BigTreeTech SKR Pro and just plug the motors into that and you just have to change the config file. I use the KIAUH - Klipper Installation And Update Helper to install and update Klipper, it will make your life easier. https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh
This site has lots of useful info on Klipper: https://klipper.info/
This site will show how to use KIAUH to install Klipper onto a Pi: https://3dp.tumbleweedlabs.com/firmware ... spberry-pi
I'm using the Panucatt SD2224 drivers on the Rumba, so if you are going to stick with the Rumba, you will need to disable Stealthchop with the jumpers on each driver.
Also start with the Rumba config for Klipper and customize it to your setup.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Thank you allanzo! I suppose this means I could drop in a 32-bit board at this time as I will be ditching the touchscreen anyway.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

RafB

Postby RafB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Hi Allanzo,

Can you attach your printer.cfg file for comparison

"I'm using the Panucatt SD2224 drivers on the Rumba, so if you are going to stick with the Rumba, you will need to disable Stealthchop with the jumpers on each driver."
I don't understand well, I have the original drivers, you have to remove a jumper to use klipper on a Rumba?

Thanks in advance

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:25 pm

Hello Allanzo-

I tried to PM you but it seems the message is stuck in my outbox, which I am assuming is from your inbox being full.(?)

We have an N2 Plus and are soon thinking of switching it over to Klipper. We plan to use the existing hardware other than a new bed, bed heater and bed thermistor. Since you have done this change I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1. Did the Raise3D main board flash OK over the USB line? If not, how did you load the Klipper firmware to the main board? I ask since I have flashed Klipper to an Ender 3 V2, but the flash wouldn't work over USB so I had to flash via the SD card. However the Raise3D board doesn't have an SD card so I just wanted to check.

2. Have you tried or do you know if it's possible to revert back to Raise3D firmware after flashing to Klipper? If so, can you explain the process?

3. I think I have a starting point for the print.cfg file setup ok but would love to take a look at yours. Could you post or PM it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex

allanzo

Postby allanzo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 pm

Sorry for the super late reply.

I attached my config file in a zip file. Please note that my printer has a lot of mods like BLTouch, AC heatbed (dimensions are different from stock) , Bondtech extruder, SD2224 drivers, filament runout sensor, right extruder fan is controllable, Reprapdiscount LCD, etc. So you have to change it to reflect your printer setup. I suggest reading everything about how to set up Klipper before you start so you understand how it works and get one thing working at a time.

RafB:
See this image posted by Jetguy, https://forum.raise3d.com/download/file ... &mode=view
I don't remember how the original drivers were set up but make sure DIP switch 3 is set to off (Stealthchop off), you have to remove the driver to see the DIP switches on the Rumba board. You will need to put it back in the same orientation or you will damage it.

Alex M:
1. I flashed the Rumba board through USB via the Rasp Pi. I used KIAUH (Klipper Installation And Update Helper) to flash it.
2. You can revert back to Marlin if you need to. You can use the Arduino software to flash it back by directly connecting to the Rumba board by USB cable. You will need to compile Marlin for your printer setup. There is a lot of info in the forums on how to compile Marlin. See this link on how to set up your environment for Arduino: https://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php ... nvironment
Attachments
printer.zip
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

RafB

Postby RafB » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:16 am

Hi,
Thank you for this information. Ideally I'd like to make a little tutorial so that other users can finally use a bltouch and solve this huge problem of not flat bed on Raise3D N2.
I already use Klipper on X1s and it works great! The touchscreens are defective but it's not a big loss considering the gain in functionality with KLIPPER!

Allonzo, what do you use for Bltouch support?

Thanks again for the config file

RafB

Postby RafB » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:17 am

RafB wrote:Hi,
Thank you for this information. Ideally I'd like to make a little tutorial so that other users can finally use a bltouch and solve this huge problem of not flat bed on Raise3D N2.
I already use Klipper on X1s and it works great! The touchscreens are defective but it's not a big loss considering the gain in functionality with KLIPPER!

Allonzo, what do you use for Bltouch support?

Thanks again for the config file

allanzo

Postby allanzo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi,

Attached are the files I used for the BlTouch/fan mount. I can't remember where I got the files from so I can't give proper credit to the designer. I may have found them on the forum somewhere. I do remember having to take apart the printer and running a CAT5 cable to the control board since you need to run 5 extra wires for the BlTouch. The BlTouch that I'm using now is a newer one (3.1 I think) that works with the config file that I uploaded. I had a first gen one originally and the config for that was totally different so you will need to take that into consideration.
Attachments
BLtouch_N2-N2plus.zip
(27.6 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

RafB

Postby RafB » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:46 am

Thank you very much for all this information.

I think I will find quickly on the Lepine forum of connection of the lease. On the motherboard.
I will also surely change the driver to TMC 2208

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:45 am

Allanzo -
Thank you so much for the files and information. I should be starting our conversion next week, so this is perfect timing.

I have already setup the RPi with Mainsail / Klipper and have it connected to a BigTreeTech 7" TFT running Klipperscreen. The new touchscreen will be replacing the existing one and is a perfect fit in the opening of the printer. We only need to make new mounting brackets since the existing ones interfere with components on the new screen.

RafB

Postby RafB » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Hi, I have already made a good start on converting Raise OS (Marlin) to Klipper. It seems that the tray is not compatible. Allanzo did it for you?
Capture d’écran 2022-12-11 à 20.23.17.png

Klippers, do not know how to use this probe // 8 is 100k 0603 SMD Vishay NTCS0603E3104FXT (4.7k pullup) :cry:

Klipper sensor_type:
# Type of sensor - common thermistors are "EPCOS 100K B57560G104F",
# "ATC Semitec 104GT-2", "ATC Semitec 104NT-4-R025H42G", "Generic
# 3950","Honeywell 100K 135-104LAG-J01", "NTC 100K MGB18-104F39050L32",
# "SliceEngineering 450", and "TDK NTCG104LH104JT1". See the
# "Temperature sensors" section for other sensors. This parameter
# must be provided.

RafB

Postby RafB » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:24 am

Hi there,

I share my printer.cfg file for Klipper on a Raise3D N2 stock. The only modification is to add a bltouch.
I'll try to detail the steps later.

printer.cfg.zip
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

Support Bl touch.stl
(182.89 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-02-17 à 09.14.22.png

acidreian

Postby acidreian » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:12 am

RafB wrote:Hi there,

I share my printer.cfg file for Klipper on a Raise3D N2 stock. The only modification is to add a bltouch.

printer.cfg.zip

Support Bl touch.stl

Did you ever successfully get this Klipper functioning on the raise3D N2? Sorry I to wake up this old thread hope you can post what you found here so I can follow you as I have 2 N2 Plus printers and I been trying to sell them for ages now... Long story short no one is buying them unless I give them away for $50.00. So I been hoping that it maybe possible to get this running faster then ever using the RPi and Klipper. I already took the whole printer head and remodel it from it's stock 1295g weight down to 304g and I been able to print a Benchy in 34 minutes lol... But speed+quality isn't a thing..

Please anyone else maybe chime in if your lurking and successfully converted your printer.

George Verboven

Postby George Verboven » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:15 pm

is it alao possible for the raise 3D pro2?

Matthias1982

Postby Matthias1982 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:11 pm

well... don't know if it is the same on the Pro2 but with the Hyperspeed Upgrade, a klipper is used from then on.
Right now there is a test phase for the Pro2 where you can get the Hyperspeed Upgrade for free.
https://support.raise3d.com/hs-ot.html

d3cf.engineering

Postby d3cf.engineering » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:33 pm

acidreian wrote:
RafB wrote:Hi there,

printer.cfg.zip

Support Bl touch.stl

Did you ever successfully get this Klipper functioning on the raise3D N2? Sorry I to wake up this old thread hope you can post what you found here so I can follow you as I have 2 N2 Plus printers and I been trying to sell them for ages now... Long story short no one is buying them unless I give them away for $50.00. So I been hoping that it maybe possible to get this running faster then ever using the RPi and Klipper. I already took the whole printer head and remodel it from it's stock 1295g weight down to 304g and I been able to print a Benchy in 34 minutes lol... But speed+quality isn't a thing..

Please anyone else maybe chime in if your lurking and successfully converted your printer.

Can you share your printer head project for me pls?

Return to “Hardware”