Help, serial error

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
chengl03

Help, serial error

Postby chengl03 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi guys,

I did some search on the community about this serial error problem and is confused on what to do.

I just finish my print and selected to print a different job then this screen came up, "Serial error: No such device or address" I press ok then another screen comes up as "Please check hardware and retry", I press retry then the serial error before came up again, and just continue to loop. I power off and on and unplug but the serial error just pop right in. I checked the wires and they are good. Now I can't print anything. I'm not an electrician or good with technical stuff as I am still a beginner, so I don't know what to do. I also saw a spark when I tried to re-clip the glass plate to the heat plate (the metal clip provided by Rasie3D), that might be what caused the error. I have the N2 plus. Thanks.
Last edited by chengl03 on Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

chengl03

Re: Help, serial error

Postby chengl03 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 am

Ok, I went back and tried again with the Serial Error screen. I open the back of the monitor screen and unplug and plug in them one by one again, it did not work. After that I unplug them all and plug them in again, and something spark and smoke came out. I may have damage it. I now have a black screen. It went worst...

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm

also open up the main board in the back - I get serial errors when the USB cords come loose (they hang straight down with no support!)
If they are seated properly then definitely need to submit a help ticket

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Yep, I checked all the cords on the back of the screen monitor and the board down at the right end side in the printer, they are good. Yeah, I might need a help ticket.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 am

Serial error is mostly due to improper connection between screen board and motion board. So normally will check USB cable between them first. Then stepper drivers on motion board.
But all these need a functional screen to check whether error still there or not first.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 am

I have a black screen now after some re-plugging and plugging. The printer is on, but the touch screen is not working. All the USB cables are nice and tight as I checked them serveral times.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 am

Needs to make the screen back to work first before checking more about serial error.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 am

I have tried everything I can think of to turn it on again but it won't work anymore. Not after the sparks and smoke that happen to it when I un-plug and re-plug all 2 pin wires and USB port. How would I fix the not working/black touch screen monitor?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 am

If you have seen smoke, I guess there should have something burnt on screen board. Please take a picture of your screen board and start a ticket on our support system. Our engineer will help you to check whether it is hardware problem by the pictures you share.

Etienne

Postby Etienne » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi Chengl03,
I faced approximatively the same issue with my Pro2.
I had some issue with the heating bed: impossible to heat. I saw that the connections were totally burnt.
I touch the connection whereas the heating bed was not power on and I saw some sparks. The screen restarts immediatly and the screen said "serial port error". Raise support advised me to change the motherboard, but it didn't change anything. 400 euros for nothing. Nobody can support me ! Incredible !
Can you tell me what was the root causis of your problem. I may have the same root causis. Thanks for your reply.

redUFO

Postby redUFO » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Etienne wrote:Hi Chengl03,
I had some issue with the heating bed: impossible to heat. I saw that the connections were totally burnt.
I touch the connection whereas the heating bed was not power on and I saw some sparks. The screen restarts immediatly and the screen said "serial port error". Raise support advised me to change the motherboard, but it didn't change anything. 400 euros for nothing. Nobody can support me ! Incredible !
Can you tell me what was the root causis of your problem. I may have the same root causis. Thanks for your reply.

Did you ever get this fixed?

I had a an electric wire that goes from the touch screen down to a power area below the printer fry out. The thru a serial error.

I contacted support and put in a ticket. They said they'd source the fried wire that was 7 months ago and never heard back from them. I made my own wire, from online parts. It powers up the touch screen, I replaced the USB and the RJ45 cable that go from the touch screen to the motion controller board. I still have a serial error.

I'm not sure what to do. Replace the motion controller board? The touch screen looks to be working and I don't seen anything fried on the back. Support don't seem too helpful after your warranty has expired. Anybody else notice that?
Maker of Star Wars stuff
http://r5-d4.blogspot.com/

49 Spools of PLA ordered from Raise 3D.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 am

redUFO wrote:
Etienne wrote:Hi Chengl03,

Did you ever get this fixed?

I had a an electric wire that goes from the touch screen down to a power area below the printer fry out. The thru a serial error.

I contacted support and put in a ticket. They said they'd source the fried wire that was 7 months ago and never heard back from them. I made my own wire, from online parts. It powers up the touch screen, I replaced the USB and the RJ45 cable that go from the touch screen to the motion controller board. I still have a serial error.

I'm not sure what to do. Replace the motion controller board? The touch screen looks to be working and I don't seen anything fried on the back. Support don't seem too helpful after your warranty has expired. Anybody else notice that?

Can you please share with me your ticket # and who you were working with on our support team?

Return to “Hardware”