No Network Connection

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
sperman

No Network Connection

Postby sperman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm

I've had intermittent network connection issues since the day I bought the printer. Once I initially got the printer connected using wireless, things went pretty smoothly until we moved to a new facility. I thought this would be better because I could use a wired connection. That worked fine at first, but after a while uploads would start to take forever, and then finally fail before uploading. I unplugged the hardwired network cable and went back to wireless and things were OK for a while. Now I cannot connect to our network at all. Neither wired or wireless. I've rebooted everything multiple times, but it still won't work. Any ideas?

Jetguy

Re: No Network Connection

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:13 pm

I guess you missed previous discussions and while there are minor differences in N series VS Pro series, I'm no convinced the changes in Pro series fixed everything. https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... phy#p32411

One of them being, a theory that at this point, I'm pretty confident in about the Ethernet PHY https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHY_(chip) is where the problem lies. It's not a bad chip- it's a bad board routing of traces resulting in signal reflections. What I'm saying is, the known problem is the pcDuino board can in theory do faster rates on the Ethernet and so the chip, the firmware, the drivers in the OS all attempt to negotiate the fastest rate your cabling and network switch port can support- however, when we start putting actual data packets across this physical interface, we get all kinds of noise interference at the fastest rates garbling the data. This causes poor data transfer and problems because the OS is constantly trying to correct and/or request resends meanwhile trying to store and assemble the data. Obviously at some point this craps out and the transfer fails.
The workaround- because it's not a great "solution" is to force either the switch port the printer connects to or the printer itself to use a slower ethernet rate- and thus not garble itself to death.

Again, yes, Raise 3D claimed all kind of improvements and did use a slightly different board but the same basic processor to my understanding on the Pro series- but evidence still points to a suspect noise problem when the PHY negotiates the fastest rates on the Ethernet port.

Force your switch or router to only use 100mbps or force the printer side.
Alex M. wrote:If you have the latest firmware there is a wrench in the bottom right corner of the Ethernet settings screen. That give you the options for the Ethernet. See “Added Auto Negotiation, Port Speed, Duplex Mode as advanced settings for Ethernet tuning under Ethernet setting page” a bit down on the first post of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8439

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 pm

I know that doesn't solve your wireless side at the new facility, but again for the wired network side, we definitely had a known situation where user plugs into a typical modern network with Gigabit capable switch ports. Great, the printer auto negotiates the fastest speed, you have CAT6E cables, we should be good right? No, no, no. Again, these really should just be firmware limited to 100mbps. The boards should have been tested and certified- so should have the internal network cabling extensions https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... on#p14807- but that's not how Raise 3D operates, and you guys paid big $$$$ for these printers without knowing.......

Again, there's a reason they pretty much had to add additional network configuration menus under raisetouch updates for those using ethernet to "properly" configure the interface- not just for the special request folks for fixed IPs and so forth.

Kind of like a sign on a military base. You see some obvious don't do X sign and think who would be dumb enough to do it? At least 3 people got caught in order for that sign to be there. Same with obscure settings on this printer- somebody did it, obviously it got them in a bind....
Just keep that in the back of your mind the next time to wonder why raise 3D did X.....

sperman

Postby sperman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 pm

I replied to this thread yesterday, but the moderators must not have approved it.

Hopefully I can say "Thanks Jetguy"

sperman

Postby sperman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I have the board limited to 10 mbps, and I still can't upload a file without getting upload errors.

sperman

Postby sperman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:43 pm

This turns out to be a Raisetouch issue. I rolled back to 0.9.7 and now I can connect to the printer without issue.

Return to “Hardware”