Guiding tubes rubbing against top cover

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Ireeb

Guiding tubes rubbing against top cover

Postby Ireeb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi everyone,
Since the beginning I had the problem that the guiding tubes are rubbing against the top cover, making the top cover look dirty and the tubes are almost getting a hole at the point where they rub on the top cover. Is anyone else having the problem and how can you fix it without having the filament having the filament in a steep angle at the extruder? I am currently printing without the top cover, but I would like to print ABS and other filaments in the future that need the top cover.
Thanks in advance!
Raise3D N2

Noren

Re: Guiding tubes rubbing against top cover

Postby Noren » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm

yes. I have just recently started printing in ABS with the top cover on. And I am a little sad to see the plastic top cover getting scratched up. And it also sounds bad. A taller top cover would take care of that.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I didnt like it either, Not much you can really do. I tried wrapping some kapton tape around it but not sure it helped. If you plan on upgrading the extruder to a Bondtech it no longer becomes a problem as that extruder assembly is much shorter. Another bonus of that upgrade!

jmp

Postby jmp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Phife wrote:I tried wrapping some kapton tape around it but not sure it helped.

This is what I did an another printer and it did help.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

checktest

Postby checktest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 am

I put shrink tubing over the tube, helps a lot.

tja

Postby tja » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 pm

I wrapped a ladies black stocking around the guide tubes and that works well. It must be a black one to go with the R3D colour scheme ;) . As a bonus it does a fair job of polishing out the scratches that the guide tubes made before.

SteveWallin

Postby SteveWallin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

I've also been bugged by this issue. It caused a surprising amount of noise, to where I thought something in the gantry was binding. When I noticed the tube rubbing on the lid, I propped it up and the noise that I thought was some minor binding instantly went away. Very glad I didn't need to re-align the gantry, but disappointed I have to come up with temporary fix until I do the Bontech upgrade.

The tube does indeed rub to the degree that it was starting to wear through and also scratches the lid. Future machines should probably ship with a slightly taller lid.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 am

I just made a lift/ standoff for the lid and put in some holes for top feed, I'll post when I'm done. May I suggest use longer guide tubing - it should make a horizontal loop at all times so it doesnt kink and bind. I also switched to 4mm ID 6mm OD teflon.

Lift/ standoff is basically a rectangle of 1x4 that fits inside the lid easily. Then put 1x1 about 1/2" down from the top edge to act as a lip to hold up the lid

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Ireeb wrote:Hi everyone,
Since the beginning I had the problem that the guiding tubes are rubbing against the top cover, making the top cover look dirty and the tubes are almost getting a hole at the point where they rub on the top cover. Is anyone else having the problem and how can you fix it without having the filament having the filament in a steep angle at the extruder? I am currently printing without the top cover, but I would like to print ABS and other filaments in the future that need the top cover.
Thanks in advance!

Since then, I took them off and I don't had any problems.
But, I would like to redesign the Dual extruder cover.
In order to make a bigger radius so the tubes will not rub against the top cover.

Return to “Hardware”