What Are serial errors and how would they be involed with prints going wrong after about 1 to 1.5cm model height

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Spikeysonic

What Are serial errors and how would they be involed with prints going wrong after about 1 to 1.5cm model height

Postby Spikeysonic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 pm

I have noticed several times prints that appear to be going fine after many hours (in this case 7ish) suddenly doing what appears to be a layer shift of a good few inches in 1 to 2 planes then shreading whats left all stingy or just a sudden layer shift.

Ive also seen the term serial error come up several times and wondering are the 2 connected? if so how.The latest time this has done this not only did the print go bad, somehow the printer through the print AND the brand new glass plate out the door leaving a floor of dagger-like glass shrards

This is what I was trying to make

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/the ... as-diorama (colour later)

PANO_20190116_203919.vr.jpg

PANO_20190116_203917.vr.jpg

IMG_20190116_203932.jpg

20190126_215250.jpg

more photos here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ke9svp3ratzr ... E2rPa?dl=0

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: What Are serial errors and how would they be involed with prints going wrong after about 1 to 1.5cm model height

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 pm

Does the serial error show in the middle of your print and kill the print process or it only shows when you reboot or power on the printer?
Serial error refers wrong communication message transferring between touchscreen and motion board.

Spikeysonic

Re: What Are serial errors and how would they be involed with prints going wrong after about 1 to 1.5cm model height

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 pm

20190126_215250.jpg

In this case When I came home my folks had switched off the printer and the floor was covered in broken glass with a big mess off 3d print handing down if I remember right. It was when all had been cleared up and I switched it on to run tests the serial message came up as attached. This seemed to indicate that the print had gone wrong, forced out the glass plate with he print which broke on the floor and it had continued printing to make a big bush of material before it was stopped by killing the power.

When it came back on that's when the message comes out as the print has not actually been stopped or aborted officially yet.

As for other times, I cannot remember But have noticed several prints which seem to be fine to a similar height before going wrong with appears to be a big horizontal shift after which it tries to continue to print. And remember the words serial error going up but not as detailed as this message.

Usually, prints are left overnight or for hours and then they go wrong, me or others just think &&**** and stop it without looking for errors. But now will be.

I have noticed however there is a tendency for the touchscreen to freeze up after a while, often a few minutes that you need to reset to get working again.

I think it may be in the middle of said print if it goes wrong but not sure, Now will be looking to check. Often when it goes wrong my Mum is the first up in the morning so if it looks like its gone wrong may turn off the machine to stop wasted filament. Ill tell her to note down any error

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:32 pm

If the printer meets power loss during printing, the motion board will lose power before then touchscreen as touchscreen has backup battery to save the print status. So the touchscreen will find that it can't get any further communication signal from motion board which will trigger a serial error.
But if the touchscreen freeze randomly it is abnormal. Would you like to confirm whether the print stops when screen freezes or only the screen not response to touch?

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 am

The screen freeze normally happens when trying to set things up or working, several minutes after starting to use the screen such as doing maintenance. Not so much mid print. It is very random.

When things go wrong the print head usually continues either globby or shredded stringy or in these more recent cases what appears to be some form of layer shift several inches in the X and Y axis.

Any power loss is likely to be someone trying to stop a print gone wrong before it wastes more material.

This only had a major maintenance at technology outlet which took over a year to set up a few months ago.

Return to “Hardware”