Filament add on sensor installation issues

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Spikeysonic

Filament add on sensor installation issues

Postby Spikeysonic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Ive been trying to install the filament sensor only the instructions seem to be lacking...

If it correct that you remove the Bowden tubes completely between the connectors able to spool and the print heads as the tubs that come with the sensor are very short.

Why do I have a lead left over? what do I do with the cable ties? why is the white lead ridiculously long?

What machines use 6mm Bowden tubes as I have an N2 Dual? how does the filament connected to the bond tech without Bowden tubes, how do you get the bowden tubes to stay in the sensor with no form of clamp? how do you make sure the sensor stays attached to the machine as it appears only to have a little double sided table etc and why is there no installation video?

Also some of the photos for the thermal cut out show colour strands on the ribbon cable the wrong way around.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament add on sensor installation issues

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 pm

The long cable needs to go through the half right side and all the way down to the printer and pass through the bottom into electronic box. You may have extra length, as N2 Plus will need those length for its height. You can leave the extra length in cable tube at the back of your printer and tie with cable ties there.
You can check the document in the following page, the step 4 shows how to do wiring.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 9263605395

The original purpose for the short tube sent together with run-out sensor is to replace the original short tube on printer.
There have two batches printers with different size original short tube. If your printer has the wider one, please insert the new tube into the original tube, no need to remove anything. If your printer has the thinner one, which has the similar diameter to the new tubes, please remove the original ones and install the new ones.
The step 8 and step 9 in document show how to install the tube. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 9263605395

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 am

What about the long tubes that originally went from the screw in connectors above the filaments all the way to the bond tech or regular extruder. ? How is that connected or it is removed and the filament goes naked between the filament sensor to the extruders with no bowden tubes bar the little sensor ones? My long bowden tubes are 4mm the original shote ones goes through the frame were 6mm

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 am

Does the long tubes have enough length to go into the run-out sensor?
We didn't take this part into consideration when selling run-out sensor as only a few later batches printers have those tubes by original and we'd prefer not using it unless the filament is very easy to break during quick movement or it is increasing the resistance of feeding.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:19 am

Id say no as they bearly reached the extruder when in the home position. coukd i replacevtgem with 6mm tubes? and coonect to a bind tech dual?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 pm

If you want to replace the tube to be different size, then don't forget replacing the fittings above filament spools holding the tubes.
If you've got tube replaced to 6-OD, 4-ID, then the run-out sensor's tube can be inserted into your new tube directly, as it is with 4-OD.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:25 am

Will a 6mm tube fit into a bondtech dual? and where in the uk would I get them?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm

The holes on Bondtech should be with 4mm. But if you can find 6mm-OD, 4mm-ID's tube, you can insert the 4mm tube in to the 6mm one.
I'm not sure where you can get tube in UK. Do you use Amazon in UK or any other online shopping site? PTFE tube should be a very common parts, easy to find online.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 pm

So as long as its a similar length ptfe tube, 6mm outer 4mm inner it will do? There is not an offical raise 3d 6mm outer 4mm inner tube with a set name so I dont go and get a 4mm one by accident? Will that be better for grippy materials like ninjaflex?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:11 pm

We don't recommend to use tube with flexible filament. It will cause a lot resistance.
Actually in our office, we don't use guiding tube on N series printer that often, unless the filament is very fragile.

If you'd like to get some of our tubes, I think we should have some in Europe. You can contact sales@raise3d.com to see whether you can get it from us directly or from our resellers.

Return to “Hardware”