X-axis vibration sound

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
wermy

X-axis vibration sound

Postby wermy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi guys,
Had my N2 a few days. Seems to print well enough, but I'm getting a weird vibrating, almost groaning-type noise. Seems to happen only when traveling along the X axis, and only at slower speeds. Everything seems to be moving freely though, and I've watched all the rods spinning, none of them appear to be bent.

Here's a video where you can hear it:
https://youtu.be/9ovPse7aEz4

Is this a symptom of something bad going on? Any ideas what I could try to get rid of it?

Thanks!

walshlg

Re: X-axis vibration sound

Postby walshlg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:33 am

looks like stepper skipping! make sure there is nothing binding - move head around by hand with steppers disengaged.

ABH

Postby ABH » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 am

My take would be play in printer head bearings or slider block bushings. You could examine the bearings/bushings one by one to find out which one(s) are "clicking". Personally I don't like play in bearings/bushings but it seems that even quite large play doesn't degrade printing quality.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:39 pm

This is a classic slip/stick situation. The outer ring of rods both rotates and has the slider blocks slide on them. Because of both sliding and rotating, ball linear bearings cannot be used in the slider blocks. This means that plain bushing or bearings are used. Plain bearing are a soft metal and a hard metal combination. The rod is the hard metal, the brass bushing are the soft metal The OTHER problem is that if you bind a linear bearing by trying to twist it perpendicular to the axis of sliding, you get stick/slip, where the bearing binds, the force keeps pushing, the rod and system bends and flexes, this releases the stick and now it slips until the angle causes it to bind again.

So what is wrong here is the entire arrangement of central crossing rods is not perfectly square and the belts and pulleys how they are locked on the rotating shafts is forcing the system out of perfectly square, that causes an angular alingment problem at the linear bearings, and yes, sounds would be speed dependent because you reach a resonant frequency of the rod and stick/slip.

So, you need to follow the gantry alignment procedure to loosen the pulleys in a very specific sequence, and then move the axis by hand to release all misalignment tension, and then carefully tighten the pulleys to the rotating shafts and check the friction again. DO NOT loosen the screws on the top and bottom of the slider blocks as that is all that is holding belt tension and is a royal pain if you let the belt slip out!!! Just giving you a fair warning on what not to try.

wermy

Postby wermy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:43 pm

@walshlg @ABH
Thanks for the replies, guys. You both mentioned clicking, which I'm not experiencing. Are you referring to the noise at the very end of the video, though? That was just some infill across a very small piece. The sound I was worried about can be heard very well around the 14 second mark, the sort of groaning/harmonic vibration sort of noise.

@Jetguy
Thanks, that's a great explanation. Do you happen to know if there's a guide somewhere for the gantry alignment procedure?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:14 pm

lol yes I was talking about the fill sounds

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm

wermy wrote:@walshlg @ABH
Thanks for the replies, guys. You both mentioned clicking, which I'm not experiencing. Are you referring to the noise at the very end of the video, though? That was just some infill across a very small piece. The sound I was worried about can be heard very well around the 14 second mark, the sort of groaning/harmonic vibration sort of noise.

@Jetguy
Thanks, that's a great explanation. Do you happen to know if there's a guide somewhere for the gantry alignment procedure?

Please shoot a ticket about the problem you are facing and pictures and videos about it to our support system.
We will help you check out the problem is and advise what to try next. Thanks!

NRHK

Postby NRHK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

I had the same problem

what i did, and i think it supports the great explanation of Jetguy, i just have another way to have a result pretty similar:

I pull out the tension presents:
* I turned off the printer
* I tiny tiny bit unscrew the bottom (but again: 15°or 10° no more) on the rods of the axis X and Y
* i moved very very gently the head in all positions to hear where the sounds came and manage it as best as i can to pull out tension
as the rods have a little space to align themselves, it will disappear, if not, make tiny rotation of the rods where the problems appear
* after all i screwed at the same level than before
* i test it again (same movements) and see if it was still a problem

OBLIGATION: making a bed leveling straight after!
Kokusai Nihon Bijutsu Rekishi Bunka Kenkyu Hozon Kyokai
Foundation for the international study and preservation of: Japanese arts, history and culture

国際日本美術歴史文化研究保存協会

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I hope your issues are solved but check if your shafts are not bent because it happens more often that we thought.
By doing what you've done, you avoid the noise but check if you see ringing on your parts.

To clearly see if your shafts are bent or not:
Place a cam on the bed in order to take video of the bearings (don't hold the cam with your hand, the cam must not move).
When you move the printhead on the oppsite axis, the bearing has not to move at all.

Chrigi78

Postby Chrigi78 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 am

we change tha borsilikat glas blade tickness up to 6mm :-)

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as Wermy, The noise is identical. What is the best solution to solve this problem ? I shoot a ticket but i have had no answer yet, it is however urgent.

Thank you for informing me (and thank you google translation).

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 am

If the vibration or noise on your machine is not very terrible, grease may help.
Wipe out the origin grease and apply new. We recommend PTFE grease from SuperLube.

If no help, you may need to align the axis. We will share you the procedures on support system.

Return to “Hardware”