Guide tube is too narrow

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
RiserDog

Guide tube is too narrow

Postby RiserDog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm

I have had several prints fail and I have tracked it back to the guide tube being too narrow. I just had a print fail using Raise filament which is usually the most consistent. I am going to just not use the guide tube at all now and take my chances with the filament breaking. If the filament is rougher such as a wood filament then it will usually get stuck.

obfuscated

Re: Guide tube is too narrow

Postby obfuscated » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

I've never used the guide tube and never had the filament break

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 am

If your filament is not such easy to be broken, I think the guide tube is not a necessary part for you.

Rockman

Postby Rockman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:48 am

I have never had good success with guide tube....I never use them

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 pm

remember teflon tubing cut ends shrink with heat and use. The ends just need to be cut off every few months. I have also gone to short lengths of 2 mm ID tubing at the head and coming out of the printer box stuck Inside 4mm ID tubing that I use as the guide tube.

tja

Postby tja » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:30 am

I use guide tubes all the time on my N1 dual extruder. I've never had a problem that was caused by friction in the tube, in fact I can push most filaments from the outside all the way down to the extruder toothed wheel easily by hand. I use PLA, TPU and ASA mostly. I really didn't like the sharp angle the filament takes without the guide tubes, they just seem to be a better design solution.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh and one more thing, we are buying cheap tubing from sometimes questionable sources. I made the mistake of buying the 1.85 ID tubing once and the real ID varied from 1.5 to 1.80 mm!

xygote

Postby xygote » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I only use guide tubes and have had no problems. When I didn't, the filament would get stuck very often. Given, mine did not come with guide tubes, I got them off amazon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUPV9KC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NRHK

Postby NRHK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 am

the interest of the tube is huge in my opinion
let's take an extreme exemple

imagine if you have a N1 or others and produce some parts (infill) at the maximum of X and Y (so the head and the origin of holes for filament will be close and no distance)

when your head will finish its works there and come back quicly close to the origine so X= 0 and Y = 0 to make other stuff

big chance that the filament will break
or the extruder will not like it and problem on feeding

cause quick distance, quicker speed = not good!

iwth this tube all the time it will be filled with filament inside in any positions of the head the tube will have enough filament inside
to move at the highest speed without problems

just my 2cts
and i hope hat my explanation can be understood :lol:
Kokusai Nihon Bijutsu Rekishi Bunka Kenkyu Hozon Kyokai
Foundation for the international study and preservation of: Japanese arts, history and culture

国際日本美術歴史文化研究保存協会

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:08 pm

I bought the teflon tube xygote recommended and it is soooo much better. Smooth and silky. I have used them for awhile on my other brand of printers.

Return to “Hardware”