Broken Y Axis Coupling - Pro2 Plus

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
jimdurt

Broken Y Axis Coupling - Pro2 Plus

Postby jimdurt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Y axis coupling broke. Waiting for support to confirm if this is covered under warranty. If not, I plan to purchase direct from Misumi. They offer a stainless steel coupling that should last longer than the aluminum. Misumi Part Number: CPLS20-5-8. I just hope its the correct one. I spoke with Tech Support but they could not provide a part number. Would only tell me what it measured. :?:
Attachments
Broken Y Coupling.jpg

Korni

Re: Broken Y Axis Coupling - Pro2 Plus

Postby Korni » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Is it difficult or costly to dismantle the coupling? Pictures of the disassembly ?
Pro2+ Image

jimdurt

Postby jimdurt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Update. Just got a response from Samuel at Raise3d. The couplings are covered up to one year. They are shipping a replacement.

Korni - The coupling is held on with 2 setscrews in the side. The stepper motor must be removed, which is held in place by 4 screws. Doesn't take very long to change. Just frustrating when you don't have spares. I requested a list of spare parts before purchasing the Pro2 Plus printers. Heater cartridge and couplings were not recommended. Only bed surface and nozzles(hot end kits). So we purchased plenty of those. Now we have spares on the heater cartridge. Guess its time to order spare couplings so we are not waiting on Raise3D to ship replacements when they fail.

Korni

Postby Korni » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm

OK, could you show me some pictures of the "construction site"?
Pro2+ Image

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 pm

I too am interested to see some pictures please..

jimdurt

Postby jimdurt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Here are the pictures of the coupling and location on the printer. It has 4 set screws that hold it on. 2 on each shaft(stepper motor and drive axis).

I installed the replacement aluminum coupling provided by Raise3d, but have received the new stainless steel couplings in the event another one fails.

Raise3d stated that they are there to fail in the event that the machine crashes to prevent damage to other components. Either way, replacements should be provided with a $6K printer. And much better instructions are required on their website. I have never experienced the lack of information for a 3D printer. The community should not be required to contact Raise3d every time an issue arises. Lulzbot has far greater Customer Support and documentation for their products.
Attachments
NBK Coupling1.png
NBK Coupling2.png
Raise3d Coupling Location2.png
Raise3d Coupling Location.png

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 am

Another important thing is when replace the coupling, you need to make sure it is align at the same level with the rod and stepper motor shaft. I once failed to check on this and a slight bend of coupling will break it again very soon (when tighten the 4 screw bracket that hold the stepper motor, it can cause coupling to bend)

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Wed May 29, 2019 1:59 am

Just found the same issue with my Pro 2 but on the X axis.

1. Does anyone know of a higher quality coupler , these seem to have a lot of post about them.

2. Anyone ever changed the x-axis one yet?

3. Looking for a non support part because I do not want to wait 3 weeks for a response, jumping through hoops taking videos and pictures etc... for a less than 5$ part.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Wed May 29, 2019 2:01 am

Was thinking of something like these.

https://www.nbk1560.com/en-US/products/ ... /jaw_type/

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:32 am

Kraken3d wrote:Was thinking of something like these.

https://www.nbk1560.com/en-US/products/ ... /jaw_type/

The problem with those is, for the Y axis, it will require clearancing the frame because they are larger outer diameter and hit the frame specially in the Y axis.

Previously discussed here. Pro2 and N series are the same basic frame in this regard.
https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 864#p45772

and specifically here. https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... joy#p11666

I've been running 3 jaw couplers this entire time. I used a Dremel abrasive wheel with a vacuum to "clearance" the corner of the frame.
This is a photo taken from that thread showing the stock unmodified frame and spiral coupler for Y axis (just above the filament spool "bay" and also on the same corner as the electronics housing.
IMG_0683.jpg

The interference point is the corner of the large aluminum mounting boss that the Z axis vertical rods are captured in. The sharp corner near the coupler must be cut or ground to accommodate a larger coupler. I used masking tape to cover everything in the area to prevent the removed dust from getting to the bearings and used a shop vac while grinding to limit any stray dust and abrasive.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Wed May 29, 2019 1:09 pm

The 5mm to 8mm couplers found at ServoCity are the exact same part that is used on the Raise3D printers.

https://www.servocity.com/flexible-clam ... t-couplers

I bought 4 of them to keep on hand as spares for when the I have to swap out the stock couplers on my N2.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 pm

I have some OEM ones on the way however I did get some of these in today. They seem to be the same size as the factory ones maybe even a tad bit smaller. However I can not compare them side by side yet and was going off the published dimensions. If they are the same size I don't see why the frame would interfere but once again I have not compared them yet. These Amazon couplings are spot on 20 mm in circumference and 25.80 mm in length.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RM ... UTF8&psc=1

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:35 am

Kraken3d wrote: If they are the same size I don't see why the frame would interfere

What was being discussed is what I consider an upgrade coupler that is not the same construction and thus not the same size.
51ZVoabKX-L._SL1100_.jpg

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... joy#p11666

Even worse, that coupler has clamping capscrews that protrude slightly greater than the diameter listed and will also hit the frame.
Which is why I said, when considering using these- you have to account for potentially needing to modify the frame.

Or....
Just keep replacing the stock spiral couplers until you finally get the alignment right, finally stop breaking them. They are cheap enough, the bigger problem is really downtime more than cost.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:01 am

I understand your saying that the one I listed off Amazon is not apples to apples to what you were proposing in the previous post. However I don't see what is that different. Both are 3 jaw style coupler. One may be a better quality however it seems to be larger and require the modifications you mentioned. I think this one would be a good alternative with no apparent modification needed. Am I off basis here or is that seem correct?

As far as the worse off dimensions- from protruded screw head to the adjacent screw is 21.5 mm. Not sure on the stock coupling still.

Compared to ?: https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products/ja ... -coupling/

If I am wrong in my assumptions surly there is a nice upgrade coupler that fits with no modifications needed? What coupler off amazon did you use Jetguy? That older link from the previous post is dead.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 am

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Coupling- ... B06X9TVW64
Shaft Usage: 5mm to 8mm
Size: 30x25mm

Was what was commonly available at a cost and reasonable shipping at the time (2 years ago). Great if you found a new one that is smaller and ships and is cost equivalent.

I prefer a clamping style shaft grip to a setscrew. There are not only variations in overall coupler design, but a key one to me (beyond the coupler style design) is how the shafts are gripped at either end. A setscrew to a flat on the shaft on repeated back and forth jerky motion at a 3D printer tends over time to loosen. A clamp style tends to not loosen in this application, however, may incur a larger outer rotating diameter due to the very screw location required for a clamping style.

There are hundreds of 5 to 8mm couplers commonly available today. There are probably a dozen major types of construction (spiral, double spiral, pin and plate type, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, 2 jaw, corrugated tube, solid, on and on), dozens of different shaft attachment styles. Every single one has pros and cons- but to discuss that at length would be near impossible. How does a given coupler design fail, how much fatigue tolerance can it take, how much backlash in our situation might it incur are just some of the questions beyond basic dimensions or feature aspects.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Well I might be out of luck on the length of the coupler. The ones I have are smaller in diameter but also only 25mm (25.84 to be exact) in length. I assume the stock couplings are most likely 30mm in length so these probably will not work.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 am

Well just FYI seems these jaw couplers will work. Got the factory replacement today as well and they are identical enough in size I cant tell them apart with the naked eye. So I am going to give them a go.
Attachments
2.jpg
20190604_201118.jpg

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 am

Well swapped them both while I had it open. Honestly the motors were aligned pretty well, that being of course by feel and eye. Anyway here is what I had. The one where I holding it is what I could see when looking inside, obviously completely broke. I changed both of them for the jaw type - hope it last , I can't see anything happening to these as Jetguy mentioned before.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Return to “Hardware”