Printing flush text as a second color

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Polarbehr

Printing flush text as a second color

Postby Polarbehr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 pm

I have two models that I created in Solidworks. One model is a flat plate with various holes for electrical connectors. I cut out of that model text to signify what each connector is. I then made a 2nd model that is just the 3D text. My intent was to overlay the 3D text into the flat plate and print the text a different color. I don't want the text to be embossed. I want the plate to be completely flat. The problem I'm running into is getting the text to align up properly without having to fiddle with moving it .01mm at a time.

For those familiar with Solidworks I used the same sketch drawn from the same reference point hoping that the center function in Ideamaker would center both models correctly and I'd only have to use the z function to align. No go unless I'm doing something wrong.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Printing flush text as a second color

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 am

When you exported the parts did you happen to suppress each part and export them one at a time or did you open them in a new instance and export them from there? If you suppressed them they should still own the same origin point for ideaMaker to reference. For the text being a different color, you will need to emboss it into the part some being that we are working in the 3D world and the slicer will not take kindly to a part that is non thick. Most likely the slicer will simply exclude the 2D text from your part and not produce the desired effect.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Polarbehr

Re: Printing flush text as a second color

Postby Polarbehr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 am

I created a new instance for each part: the flat plate and the 3D text. I'll try with suppressing and saving. Thanks!

I did make the Text 3D though by extruding the sketch.

Return to “Software”