Software Report Format

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Software Report Format

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Would you like to share your .idea file with us?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 am

First of all I have to THANK YOU so much for that REALLY great piece of software. My Simplify3D is bored to death because I simply doesn't need it anymore...

Second I have a +1 on the Ironing request in a former post... Ironing is really cool and would be so brilliant within Ideamaker...

Third I have a few feature requests I will post here in (in seperate posts) starting with the first one:

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Warning on Pause feature]
Description: [Brief description of the feature]
Version: [3.4.2.3140]
Operation System: [Windows 10 64 Bit]
Reason:
I never change the template I am using but only tweak some minor parameters and am very happy with that. If I have a multi color print where I change the color at
certain hights I use the "pause" feature to move the extruder to a save point and let the printer pause in order to change the filament...

But it happened several times that I forgot that the last print I did had pause points... So I slice another model without thinking to check every single tab on the
template tabs and of course I have a pause point in the gcode I did not remember... This happened to an overnight print and the printer waitet at 3% for my interaction... That was not so funny...

I thought of writing a plugin for octoprint I use to print to check for pause in the gcode but gcode parsing on my raspberry pi could be kind of very expensive on big models... I thought it might be easier to solve the problem in the slicer ;-)

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Change priority of Gap Fill vs Check Thin Wall]
Description: [gap fill is used before the check thin wall feature comes in]
Reason: Thin wall creates a cleaner and more direct flow for the printer.
I attached three screenshots: the first one with gap fill completely deactivated.
2019-09-24.png

The second one with only gap fill but not "Allow Filling Gaps using Single Extrustion Filling"
2019-09-24 (1).png

The third one with both features activated...
2019-09-24 (2).png

And I think the first one is the best solution... But I have to miss the gap fill feature which I could possibly use at other parts of the model...

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Manual support generation on selected faces or certain layer hights]
Description: [It would be cool to have support generation on a selected face only or on a certain layer hight only... ]
Reason: I had some models in the past where I have parts which could be printed perfectly using bridges and other parts where that was not possible...
So I had to add manual supports (which is a great feature, don't get me wrong) on different points of the model.

To have a feature to select faces and click just "create support on selected faces" would have speeded things up very much... Nearly the same could have been achived if I had the possibility to
create support only on a certain hight (or range)...

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 am

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Auto-Import models]
Description: [Faster way to export / import models to ideamaker]
Reason: My normal workflow exports models from blender (where I created a shortcut to do this), switch to ideamaker, click "add" and select the exported STL file.

If there was a feature to auto-import STL files that would be very very handy...

Solution idea 1: create a command line argument to do it: "Ideamaker.exe -import SomeModel.stl"
Solution idea 2: configure a file "autoimport.stl" which is always (once a second or every 5 seconds) scanned for changes and auto-imported if a change is detected... Or deleted after import so that blender can export to that filename the next time...

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Define POIs (Parts of interest)]
Description: [better way to control the slicer via special regions in the model where different settings take place]
Reason: On functional parts there are most of the time parts which will be hidden and others which can be seen.
Using the "Per-Layer-Settings" I can change the slicer behavior on different layer heights - which is great but not always enough...

If I would have the possibility to add some primitive (a cube or a sphere) to act as a "certain layer" in terms of "Per-Layer-Setting"
somewhere intersecting my model I can tell the slicer to change some settings (not layer height of course) for my needs.

Zwischenablage-1.jpg

I could slow down the slicer, change infill ratio, change number of shells or whatever...

Yeah I know that this is not easy to realize but I think this could be a completely outstanding feature which no other slicer (as far as i know) has at the moment.

Tormak

Postby Tormak » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am

Yes,

You find it in attachment,

Regards
Attachments
485-12-12_legs_2.idea
(574.7 KiB) Downloaded 569 times

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:39 am

Oh I still have some ;-) Just wanted to wait for my post to come online...

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: Support and/or Infill layer height speed up
Description: Allow a different layer height for infill & support, eg if I print with .1mm layer height I can configure .3 layer height for support and infill so that infill and support is only printed on every 3rd regular layer
Reason: Massive faster prints on low layer hights - inifill and support do not show up in the final result so there is no need to print these structures with a very high resolution

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:45 am

And one of my favorites but not soooo easy to implement as I think:

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: Non-planar slicing
Description: there is a special version of slic3r which supports non-planar slicing as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1lvuva5mI and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmePlcU0TRw&t=3s
Reason: Massive improvement in top layer quality

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Stevie wrote:First of all I have to THANK YOU so much for that REALLY great piece of software. My Simplify3D is bored to death because I simply doesn't need it anymore...

Second I have a +1 on the Ironing request in a former post... Ironing is really cool and would be so brilliant within Ideamaker...

Third I have a few feature requests I will post here in (in seperate posts) starting with the first one:

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Reason:
I never change the template I am using but only tweak some minor parameters and am very happy with that. If I have a multi color print where I change the color at
certain hights I use the "pause" feature to move the extruder to a save point and let the printer pause in order to change the filament...

But it happened several times that I forgot that the last print I did had pause points... So I slice another model without thinking to check every single tab on the
template tabs and of course I have a pause point in the gcode I did not remember... This happened to an overnight print and the printer waitet at 3% for my interaction... That was not so funny...

I thought of writing a plugin for octoprint I use to print to check for pause in the gcode but gcode parsing on my raspberry pi could be kind of very expensive on big models... I thought it might be easier to solve the problem in the slicer ;-)

Thanks for your feedback.
Actually we have already added ironing into our developing list. We will release it in the next version.

About Pause, you can use the .gcode and .data file to import print template from that print. Or you can use the Compare feature in ideaMaker to compare the difference in printing settings. https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-446.html

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Stevie wrote:[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: [Change priority of Gap Fill vs Check Thin Wall]
Description: [gap fill is used before the check thin wall feature comes in]
Reason: Thin wall creates a cleaner and more direct flow for the printer.
I attached three screenshots: the first one with gap fill completely deactivated.
2019-09-24.png

The second one with only gap fill but not "Allow Filling Gaps using Single Extrustion Filling"
2019-09-24 (1).png

The third one with both features activated...
2019-09-24 (2).png

And I think the first one is the best solution... But I have to miss the gap fill feature which I could possibly use at other parts of the model...

Would you like to share your idea, gcode and data files with us so that we can run some tests?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Title: [Manual support generation on selected faces or certain layer hights]
Description: [It would be cool to have support generation on a selected face only or on a certain layer hight only... ]
Reason: I had some models in the past where I have parts which could be printed perfectly using bridges and other parts where that was not possible...
So I had to add manual supports (which is a great feature, don't get me wrong) on different points of the model.

To have a feature to select faces and click just "create support on selected faces" would have speeded things up very much... Nearly the same could have been achived if I had the possibility to
create support only on a certain hight (or range)...

You can try whether Maximum Supported Area Percentage to help identify Bridge or Support. You can find more information here: https://www.raise3d.com/news/ideamaker- ... ase-notes/

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Description: [better way to control the slicer via special regions in the model where different settings take place]
Reason: On functional parts there are most of the time parts which will be hidden and others which can be seen.
Using the "Per-Layer-Settings" I can change the slicer behavior on different layer heights - which is great but not always enough...

If I would have the possibility to add some primitive (a cube or a sphere) to act as a "certain layer" in terms of "Per-Layer-Setting"
somewhere intersecting my model I can tell the slicer to change some settings (not layer height of course) for my needs.

Zwischenablage-1.jpg

I could slow down the slicer, change infill ratio, change number of shells or whatever...

Yeah I know that this is not easy to realize but I think this could be a completely outstanding feature which no other slicer (as far as i know) has at the moment.

If you'd like to try our beta version of ideaMaker which including reload selected model feature and ironing feature, please let me know.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Tormak wrote:Yes,

You find it in attachment,

Regards

Would you like to go through our modifier feature and see whether it can help your issue.
You can find more information from here: https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/4 ... 5-827.html

Tormak

Postby Tormak » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:06 am

I know that feature, but it can't help me in this case.

I wan't a z hop only when the printer move to a solid parts to another solid parts, and the function "Z hop Only at Solid Parts" its the solution, but in some cases, he don't z-hop.

Another exemple a bit more complex, a model of a hand with supports disgned in Autodesk Meshmixer, some z hop are missing : result, is the break of the supports, but supports with z-hop successfuly : no break
Attachments
Annotation 2019-09-26 090544.png
Annotation 2019-09-26 090312.png
ideamaker_exemple.rar
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 505 times

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Stevie wrote: (...)
[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
(...)

Thanks for your feedback.
Actually we have already added ironing into our developing list. We will release it in the next version.

About Pause, you can use the .gcode and .data file to import print template from that print. Or you can use the Compare feature in ideaMaker to compare the difference in printing settings. https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-446.html

I do not have the plan to import an old template to check wheather it contains a pause command or not - a simple text search within the gcode gives me the answer... I would be very interested in a short warning or hint or something that the ACTUAL template which is used to slice my model contains pause points...

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
(...)

If you'd like to try our beta version of ideaMaker which including reload selected model feature and ironing feature, please let me know.

Yes I am very interested - I wrote you a PM... But your answer has nothing to do with my feature request ;-)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Tormak wrote:I know that feature, but it can't help me in this case.

I wan't a z hop only when the printer move to a solid parts to another solid parts, and the function "Z hop Only at Solid Parts" its the solution, but in some cases, he don't z-hop.

Another exemple a bit more complex, a model of a hand with supports disgned in Autodesk Meshmixer, some z hop are missing : result, is the break of the supports, but supports with z-hop successfuly : no break

We have double checked your file, we believe it is caused by some unknown bug in ideaMaker. We will try to fix it before the next release.
Thanks for sharing your file with us.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Stevie wrote:Oh I still have some ;-) Just wanted to wait for my post to come online...

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: Support and/or Infill layer height speed up
Description: Allow a different layer height for infill & support, eg if I print with .1mm layer height I can configure .3 layer height for support and infill so that infill and support is only printed on every 3rd regular layer
Reason: Massive faster prints on low layer hights - inifill and support do not show up in the final result so there is no need to print these structures with a very high resolution

The feature you are looking for Infill has been already added. You can find more information here: https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-438.html. The feature for support will be added in to developing list.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Stevie wrote:And one of my favorites but not soooo easy to implement as I think:

[FEATURE][IM-3.4.2.3140]
Title: Non-planar slicing
Description: there is a special version of slic3r which supports non-planar slicing as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1lvuva5mI and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmePlcU0TRw&t=3s
Reason: Massive improvement in top layer quality

About the non-planar slicing we need to run more tests on our printer to see whether we can achieve it or not.
The new version of ideaMaker we are going to release very soon will have more ooptions for Top Surface which can improve printing result of planar top surfaces a lot.

Return to “Software”