IdeaMaker Crashing

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
rhines44

IdeaMaker Crashing

Postby rhines44 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum, new to Raise3d, and soon to be new to 3D printing at home. I'm quite excited to have an N2 on order and have recently downloaded the most recent IdeaMaker software. I've been coming upon some issues as I've been trying to learn the software prior to my printers arrival. It seems to be crashing A LOT and in no specific point. Dragging a print from one part of the bed to another, slicing, "repairing", "previewing", etc. I've sent emails to Raise3D, who have been great at responding and trying to troubleshoot, but we cannot seem to fix the issue. We feel it's a problem with my graphics card. Intel HD Graphics 4000 on a mid 2012 Macbook Air. I've done everything to my Mac as far as backing up and removing all unused files/programs, installing all updates, and running all diagnostics. When using disc utility, it shows my Mac is running just fine and there are no issues or alarms that pop up.
It seems that my Graphics Card is resetting quite often when using Ideamaker which eventually leads it to quitting. Has anybody come across this as well, and if so, any recommendations on a fix? I'm a little upset that the included software won't work with my new printer.

Also, is there 2.2.0.167 available for Mac? When it opens it says update available but when it takes me to the raise3 site, there is no 2.2 ver available.

Thank you for any help and I look forward to posting on here with more positive and constructive info.
Todd
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 12.28.27 PM.png
My mac setup

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IdeaMaker Crashing

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 am

Would you like to share us the crash report?

By the way, we have just uploaded the 2.2.0 on our download center. Please check again.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:18 am

I'm really sorry the user has run into this issue, but this exact same problem is seen across the industry.

3D printing involves 3D manipulation and display of CAD. A Macbook Air with a bottom of the bottom Intel integrated graphics is not the best for 3D model manipulation. If you go over to any competitors forums, you are going to see the same thing over and over.
New user loads the 3D printing software for that brand (Makerware, Flashprint, Ideamaker) and then suddenly complains either the application won't open or crashes on their laptop or PC. And while most of the complaints are people with Windows 10 upgrades that failed to upgrade their graphics driver to a Windows 10 updated driver, there are many situations with marginal computers that simply don't work.

In the end, the problem is a combination of OS version, graphics driver version, and often low end integrated graphics cards are the most problematic.

Now what's going to frustrate you even more is I have a Macbook Air 2011 13 inch that I'm typing this on with only an HD3000 graphics, but I've also upgraded mine and I'm running El Capitan 10.11.3 and mine doesn't crash with Ideamaker, nor has it ever.

So again, the hard answer is, your OS version might be the culprit here and is not providing proper 3D graphics support using the integrated solution in your non-upgradable graphics laptop. You can hedge the bet that somehow Raise 3D can create a software that doesn't require 3D graphics support or instead, start searching forums for why your updated OS on that hardware is not providing proper 3D graphics functionality.

I'm not trying to rip into you or make this a MAC VS PC debate. By far not, both sides can present this issue. But, an integrated graphics card is the bare minimum of bare minimum. If everything from the OS and driver standpoint is not up to snuff, you will get a failure with typical 3D printing related applications as they use and depend on functions to accelerate the display. Again, integrated graphics depend heavily on OS and Driver to function.

Maybe on the download page, make it more clear the bare minimums and specific graphics level support so that users are told to check their computer before they even try.
Last edited by Jetguy on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:30 am

Just to prove the point and narrow this down, try and install Flashprint for the Dreamer series from here http://www.flashforge-usa.com/support/downloads/

If Flashprint won't open or crashes, then we've truly narrowed it down to your computer (OS, Driver, Hardware) not properly supporting Open GL rendering. This also might throw an error message that may better help understand what is wrong.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:40 am

So re reading this, because honestly, I pay very little attention to my Mac, I am running the latest OS version and you are a few versions behind. 10.10.5 VS 10.11.3. At first, I assumed I wasn't running the latest, I often wait a while before I upgrade to let everyone work the bugs out.

I think you need to consider upgrading your OS to the latest on that Macbook Air. You actually are a bit out of date.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:13 pm

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
Use the Mac App Store to install OS X El Capitan on Mac computers that meet the system requirements

Since my 2011 Air meets it, your 2012 certainly does.

rhines44

Postby rhines44 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Jetguy wrote:So re reading this, because honestly, I pay very little attention to my Mac, I am running the latest OS version and you are a few versions behind. 10.10.5 VS 10.11.3. At first, I assumed I wasn't running the latest, I often wait a while before I upgrade to let everyone work the bugs out.

I think you need to consider upgrading your OS to the latest on that Macbook Air. You actually are a bit out of date.

After posting my issue I decided to update my (companies) Macbook Air to El Capitan. I was told to hold off on the upgrade because some of the necessary programs used at my company "may not be compatible" yet. Since I'm too excited to be able to 3D print I decided to upgrade anyhow. ;)
It seems that, at the moment, my problems are solved. I've been able to open, set up, and save those files I had issues with previously. Hopefully it continues down this path at least until my company allows me to upgrade my Mac.

Mikeyxx

Postby Mikeyxx » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:17 pm

I have a similar crashing that occurs with the latest release 4.1.1.

I'm using ubuntu and took the .deb instead of the snap. I like to be able to access some of the back files when necessary.

Mine crashes usually after slicing and just before I send to octoprint. Bit of a pain. Getting use to it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:12 am

Can you help run ideaMaker in terminal and copy the error message listed in terminal when ideaMaker crushes and share with us?

Mikeyxx

Postby Mikeyxx » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:54 am

Ok, so it seems to happen when it's sitting idle for a bit and I switch to a different program and then back after a bit. Terminal results only said this:*** longjmp causes uninitialized stack frame ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:02 am

I will PM you a beta version to try.

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 pm

@Vicky

I have the same setup (Ubuntu 20.04) as Mikeyxx and Ideamaker produces the same error he mentioned
Can I try the beta too?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:01 am

zeroPx wrote:@Vicky

I have the same setup (Ubuntu 20.04) as Mikeyxx and Ideamaker produces the same error he mentioned
Can I try the beta too?

PM sent. Let me know whether it helps or not.

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks! I'll try it extensively and let you know here

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, the link you sent me is not working

it is partial, it redirects me to download.raise3d.com only

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:54 pm

zeroPx wrote:Unfortunately, the link you sent me is not working

it is partial, it redirects me to download.raise3d.com only

Just sent new links out. Feel free let me know if it still doesn't work.

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:10 pm

Links are working for download, launched the appimage, will let you know if that works for me

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:39 pm

@Vicky
so far, I have not experienced any crash. Have not tried using large files and texture though, but performance is really good
I've left ideamaker opened for a long time and hibernated laptop, which used to be common scenarios for the crash, no crashes happened

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks for the update. If there's any other issue, feel free to let us know.

zeroPx

Postby zeroPx » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Kept working with ideamaker for an additional week, no crash occurred

Return to “Software”