Bridging VS Shell Count

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Chandler

Bridging VS Shell Count

Postby Chandler » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:48 am

Hi
I'm struggling with bridging again. It seems as though Bridging is somehow affected by the number of shells chosen for the print, I can't wrap my head around this. See the attached ScreenCaps and .SDL file(Looks like .SDL won't fit - tell me how to add it if needed). The same .SDL file was used in the 2 sliced files. The ONLY difference betwing the Slicer profiles was the number of Shells used. Bridging appears as desired in the file sliced with 2.5 Shells, BUT it fails in the file sliced with 3.5 Shells. I would think that Bridging would work regardless of Shell count. My desire is simply to create a profile for a stronger print - i.e. more Shells and perhaps more Infill, it appears as though Infill does NOT effect Bridging - I can edit the profile to add a denser Infill and Bridging is not effected, only Shell Count seems to scramble IdeaMaker's brain. The area in question is 101.70 mm^2
Thanks
Chandler
Attachments
Advanced_Settings_(Bridging_Parameters).png
3.5_Shells_A.png
3.5_Shells_B.png
2.5_Shells_A.png
2.5_Shells_B.png

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Bridging VS Shell Count

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:08 am

Would you mind share the STL file with us?
The amount of Shell is not only going to affect Bridging but also the travel path of the whole print.

Chandler

Postby Chandler » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:59 am

Sure Vicky
How can I do that? I get an error that the file is too large? Doesn't seem right, the file is 13.6Mb. I'll try a .zip file, let me know if you need something else.
Thanks
Chandler
Attachments
Fuge_Discharge_Hood.zip
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:12 pm

ideaMaker consider the solid fill before two islands as Bridging. If there are too many Shells causing small Solid Fill, ideaMaker will use Gap Fill instead of Bridging.
We will recommend you use Concentric Solid Fill instead of modifying the quantity of Shells to keep the density as high but not as much direction change.

Chandler

Postby Chandler » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:47 pm

Vicky
I appreciate your response, but I don't understand what you're requesting. Changing my solid fill pattern to concentric doesn't seem to resolve the bridging problem. I would think that a Bridge is simply a Bridge, a closed, unsupported area between two otherwise solid (or supported areas). I utilize the the variables within the Bridging Properties to achieve the best results. Changing Solid Fill pattern has no control over Speed, or especially Part Cooling.
Please understand, I'm not being argumentative, just wanting to create the best profile for the parts I build.
Could you explain what you mean by "use Concentric Solid Fill instead of modifying the quantity of Shells to keep the density as high but not as much direction change." For example, in the file that I posted: Bridging works properly with 2.5 Shells, I want to add the equivalent to two additional shells. How would I edit the Solid Fill Parameters to achieve the same density? And, how would one determine that the density did in fact increase (beyond checking the sliced preview for filament usage.
Thanks for your support
Chandler

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:19 am

Do you mind share your .idea/.stl file with us so that we can see whether we can find some settings can meet your requirements and share the result with you?

Chandler

Postby Chandler » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 pm

Vicky
You'll find a .ZIP file 2 posts above. The Site won't let me download a .STL file as I previously stated the .STL file is 13.6MB, seems that's over the limit for the Site??
Thanks
Chandler

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:24 am

What about a download link instead?

Chandler

Postby Chandler » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:23 pm

Sure Vicky
Explain to me how that works.
Thanks
Chandler

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:36 pm

You can upload your files to the following link and it will create a download link for you.
https://wetransfer.com/
The files will be expire in a few days. If you dont want to share it in public, you can PM the link to me.

Return to “Software”