Different settings for same filament on different printers

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
doctorzoidberg

Different settings for same filament on different printers

Postby doctorzoidberg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Hello!

I have multiple printers I have profiles setup for in Ideamaker, on which I print a lot of the same filament on the different printers. I am wondering if there is a way to have different values for a filament depending what filament is selected?

What I would ideally like to be able to do something like the following:

- Have Printer A configured in Ideamaker
- Have Printer B configured in Ideamaker
- Have Filament A configured in Ideamaker

- When I am slicing with a profile for Printer A/Filament A combination, have something like the flow rate at 100%.
- When I am slicing with a profile for Printer B/Filament A combination have the flow rat at 95%

Is this possible with Ideamaker? I didn't get any way to accomplish this, whenever filament changes are made they affect both printers if using the same Filament in Ideamaker.

I assume the only way to accomplish this is to have copies of the Filament named with the printer name in it? That is definitely clunky so I am hoping that's not the only way. Ideally I would love for it to follow the mental model of what we are doing in the real world. As in, I an printing on Printer B and Filament A is loaded into the machine so I choose Printer B and Filament A in the slicer.

The real benefit would be to not have to set these settings for EVERY profile for that specific filament for a given machine, that way if you want to modify something you do it globally for all your profile (with the ability to override them in the specific profile as needed).

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time!

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Different settings for same filament on different printers

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 am

doctorzoidberg wrote:Hello!

I have multiple printers I have profiles setup for in Ideamaker, on which I print a lot of the same filament on the different printers. I am wondering if there is a way to have different values for a filament depending what filament is selected?

What I would ideally like to be able to do something like the following:

- Have Printer A configured in Ideamaker
- Have Printer B configured in Ideamaker
- Have Filament A configured in Ideamaker

- When I am slicing with a profile for Printer A/Filament A combination, have something like the flow rate at 100%.
- When I am slicing with a profile for Printer B/Filament A combination have the flow rat at 95%

Is this possible with Ideamaker? I didn't get any way to accomplish this, whenever filament changes are made they affect both printers if using the same Filament in Ideamaker.

I assume the only way to accomplish this is to have copies of the Filament named with the printer name in it? That is definitely clunky so I am hoping that's not the only way. Ideally I would love for it to follow the mental model of what we are doing in the real world. As in, I an printing on Printer B and Filament A is loaded into the machine so I choose Printer B and Filament A in the slicer.

The real benefit would be to not have to set these settings for EVERY profile for that specific filament for a given machine, that way if you want to modify something you do it globally for all your profile (with the ability to override them in the specific profile as needed).

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time!

Would you be able to clarify exactly what functionality you are looking for? The way that the software is designed is to have a printer profile with individual templates associated with that printer specifically. Are you looking to use the same filament template across multiple machines?

Return to “Software”