[BUG] Incorrect Print Speed Behavior

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
DaHai8

[BUG] Incorrect Print Speed Behavior

Postby DaHai8 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 pm

Trying to print this FPV Quad Fin and I have it set to slow down the layer speed if its goes below 15 seconds

Cooling.PNG

As you can see, around layer 110, it does just that: slows down:

Speed.PNG

However, notice how it speeds up again near the top.
There is less to print, the part is smaller, it should not resume speed, but keep printing slow like the middle section.

I believe I have IdeaMaker set the same as S3D, and it shows the part printing slower and slower all the way to the top.

S3D.PNG

Why is IdeaMaker doing this?

I must have a setting horked somewhere, so here is my IdeaMaker file and .data files

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Attachments
Transtec_Laser_S_Race_Fin.idea
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Transtec_Laser_S_Race_Fin - Red TPU A4.data
(108.98 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by DaHai8 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

DaHai8

Re: Odd Print Speed Behavior

Postby DaHai8 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:05 am

I can confirm that the topmost layers are NOT slowing down to a minimum of 15 seconds. Timing them when printing, they were 2-5 seconds each layer. Since I cannot find any setting that would cause this, I'm labeling it as a BUG.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Odd Print Speed Behavior

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:43 am

The top few layers print time are very short and have a huge difference between the minimal print time setup. If scale the print speed down according to the size, a lot structures' printing speed will be lower than minimal printing speed limitation.
You can just lower the minimal speed to be 10mm/s and slice again.

DaHai8

Re: [BUG] Incorrect Print Speed Behavior

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 am

That Almost makes sense.

But why would it Increase the print speed instead of just keeping it the same???

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:39 am

Still looks like a Bug

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 am

More strangeness.

I set the minimum print speed to 1mm/s.

Capture 0.PNG

But now I get these layers in between the slowed down ones. Sections are printing Faster than the Max print speed set of 40mm/s and each time I slice, these super-fast sections are on different layers - never the same place twice.

This LOOKS OK, but...
Capture 1.PNG

When I scroll down through the layers, I see this:
Capture 2.PNG

And this:
Capture 3.PNG

Re-slice and its totally different with even the outer wall printing at well beyond the 40mm/s max speed:
Capture 4.PNG

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 am

I upgraded to 4.2.1.5320 that was just released today. And the odd super-speed sections reported above appear to have been fixed (those with the yellow 100mm/s)

However, the speeding up of the tip of the fin is still happening when a minimum print speed (10mm/s set in this example).

New 1.PNG

I really don't believe this should be happening. It should not "Speed Up" again just because it can't go any slower.

Instead is should maintain the set minimum speed (in this example: 10mm/s).

This is not a visual anomaly. Loading the generated gcode in S3D also shows the tip print speed increases instead of maintaining minimum speed.

New 2.PNG

Still believe this is a bug that needs to be addressed.

Thank you.

Labirynt

Postby Labirynt » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:41 am

DaHai8 wrote:I upgraded to 4.2.1.5320 that was just released today. And the odd super-speed sections reported above appear to have been fixed (those with the yellow 100mm/s)

However, the speeding up of the tip of the fin is still happening when a minimum print speed (10mm/s set in this example).

New 1.PNG

I really don't believe this should be happening. It should not "Speed Up" again just because it can't go any slower.

Instead is should maintain the set minimum speed (in this example: 10mm/s).

This is not a visual anomaly. Loading the generated gcode in S3D also shows the tip print speed increases instead of maintaining minimum speed.

New 2.PNG

Still believe this is a bug that needs to be addressed.

Thank you.

Because you set 2 options in case of that: limit speed or speed up cooling fan. If limiting speed is not enough to decrease layer time, fan will be turned on, and speed limiting will be off.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:28 am

Labirynt wrote:Because you set 2 options in case of that: limit speed or speed up cooling fan. If limiting speed is not enough to decrease layer time, fan will be turned on, and speed limiting will be off.

Nope. That doesn't work. I turned off the fan and it does the same thing.

New B.PNG

New A.PNG

Besides, that sounds like a poor way to do it. If it can't slow down anymore, then it should Add the fan and increase it up to the limit to compensate. Not just 'give up' and try the fans instead.

The help text for "Increase Fan Speed" says:

If the total time spent in a single layer is less than the :Minimal Layer Printing Time" the fan speed will be increased and do not exceed the "Maximum Fan Speed". If "Enabled Cooling Fans" is disabled, all the slice settings of changing fan speed are disabled.

It doesn't say anything about resuming normal print speed when the fan is used. It implies the fan will be used to compinsate for not being able to print slow enough to reach the minimum print time. It doesn't say anything about resuming full-speed print when it uses the fan. It doesn't say anything about either/or for the speed and fan.

Put it this way: If its already set to run the fan at 100% for the entire print, then "Increase Fan Speed" does Nothing. In essence, the slicer would just be 'giving up' at that point and resume full speed printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 pm

Normally we dont recommend put a large value for minimal speed, it should be lower than 10mm/s for most cases.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Normally we dont recommend put a large value for minimal speed, it should be lower than 10mm/s for most cases.

Nevertheless, it should stay at the minimum set speed to get as close to the minimum layer time as possible, and NOT just Give Up and resume full print speed. This really screws up the print.

P_20211010_084747.jpg

This is still a Bug and needs to be fixed

Thank you

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:55 pm

There are two limitations here, one is the minimal layer print time and the other one is minimal printing speed.
We will try to optimize the limitations for the models hard to meet both requirements.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:There are two limitations here, one is the minimal layer print time and the other one is minimal printing speed.
We will try to optimize the limitations for the models hard to meet both requirements.

Code: Select all

IF Layer Print Time < Minimal Layer Print Time THEN
    Decrease Print Speed
    IF Print Speed < Minimal Printing Speed THEN
        Set Print Speed = Minimal Printing Speed
DONE

It's not that hard

Return to “Software”