Sequential printing starting Gcode of next part before finishing final layer of previous part

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
anlambe2

Sequential printing starting Gcode of next part before finishing final layer of previous part

Postby anlambe2 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Hello,

I am using ideaMaker 4.1.1 and just recently started using sequential printing. I noticed that halfway through my final layer on a part, the printer marks the part as completed so the settings (flowrate, fan speed, etc) all change to the settings for the next part. It then finishes the part and starts printing the next. This is a problem for me because I am sequentially printing test structures to fine tune my printing settings, but I am not getting valid results.

For example, I have been testing bridging settings by printing a .1mm thick, 40mm bridge between 2, 5mm high posts. Quick and easy print. However, I notice my fan shuts off halfway through the final bridge because I set the fan to be off on layer 1 of all the parts so the PETG adheres to the bed better. I then tried to just set the fan to 100% on layer 1 hoping that it would never turn off. Unfortunately, I can notice halfway through the final bridge, the fan restarts to adapt to the next part settings. On the final part, the fan turns off completely half way through the bridge marking the final part as complete without completing it. It then completes the part, but not with the correct slicing settings.

I do have my own gcode inserted into the slicer that is supposed to draw a 75mm line before starting the print to prime the nozzle and get any drop from the heatup off. Is this 75mm in the gcode causing an issue with sequential printing? I have it under the Start GCode, and it only does it in the beginning of the entire print, not for each part (which I want).

Any advisement on why the printer is marking parts complete and switching the slicing profile before it is actually complete?

Start GCode I have in my PETG slicing profile:

Code: Select all

G21     ; Set units to millimeters
G90     ; Set all axes to absolute
M82     ; Set extruder to absolute
M107     ; Turn fan off
G28 X0 Y0     ; Auto home X and Y axes
G28 Z0        ; Auto home Z axis
G1 Z0.2 F300     ; Move Z height to 0.2
G1 X5 Y5 F2400   ; Move to position X=5, Y=5
G92 E0     ; Set extruder position to 0.0
G1 X80 Y5 F600 E30    ; Draw 75mm line in X direction
G1 X110 Y5 F4800     ; Move to X=110, Y=5
G92 E0     ; Set extruder position to 0.0
G1 F{travel_xy_speed}  ; Sets max X,Y travel speed
M117 Printing...     ; Starts printing

anlambe2

Re: Sequential printing starting Gcode of next part before finishing final layer of previous part

Postby anlambe2 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 pm

Update:
Just tried with default start GCode and using a skirt around each part instead. Fan still restarts halfway through the final layer (bridge) of each part, and the software marks the first part as complete, seemingly switching to the slicing profile of the next part in the sequential print.

Futhermore, something must be wrong with the extrusion/retraction default settings for sequential printing. I programmed a 2 circle skirt but on every sequential part, the first skirt was 1 circle, and it would go around the skirt not extruding any filament or not extruding it properly causing filament to be extruded in improper locations as well.

Attached is my gcode, data, and ideafile of the most recent print using stock GCode.

Please advise.
Attachments
4xbridgeTEST.data
(53.98 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
4xbridgeTEST.idea
(42.8 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
4xbridgeTEST.gcode
(581.34 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Sequential printing starting Gcode of next part before finishing final layer of previous part

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:38 pm

The Z position of codes for fan look all correct in your .gcode, enabled from first layer and disabled at the last layer. Might be some issue related to Touchscreen firmware. We are having touchscreen firmware team to run some tests to see what's related to this issue.
And in gcode preview, there are 2 loops of skirts.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:36 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The Z position of codes for fan look all correct in your .gcode, enabled from first layer and disabled at the last layer. Might be some issue related to Touchscreen firmware. We are having touchscreen firmware team to run some tests to see what's related to this issue.
And in gcode preview, there are 2 loops of skirts.

Thank you Vicky. I can show you a video of what is happening. How can I send you larger files?

Although the gcode looks OK, I have a video I can show you of the fan turning off and the touchscreen showing layer 2. (I don't have a video of this happening on the last layer of a sequential part but I can provide that to you if needed).

In the mean time, I was able to upload a picture. If you zoom in, you can see the skirt is only 2 loops on the left side. The right side it is 1 loop. The video I want to show you shows the extruder going around the first loop area but not pushing out any filament.
Attachments
skirt issue.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 am

Download link will work.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:42 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Download link will work.

Sent you a PM with a link

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 am

From the video, the issue seems being mid-triggered by firmwares. I will forward to firmware team to run more tests to figure out what is causing it.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:From the video, the issue seems being mid-triggered by firmwares. I will forward to firmware team to run more tests to figure out what is causing it.

Thank you Vicky, please update when you have more information.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 am

Hi all,

If anyone is looking for a temporary fix see Vicky's comment below. Thank you for the help Vicky, I hope the software team can make a permanent fix on the next ideamaker update since this is still a bug. It is a known bug that happens with every smaller print.
I will have to extensively test this gcode addition to see if it fixes every issue with my smaller prints. I hope the Raise3D team is still looking into a permanent solution.

We have found the reason of the issue causing fan speed updated to the settings for the next layer before the current layer ends. It seems only happening when the print size of the current layer is small cause the system has moved the next line while the current layer is still printing. Will have to add a M400 code next each M160 code manually to fix it at the moment.

For example:
M160 XXXX
M400

I really want to know why this hasn't been implemented into a beta like other issues in this forum (Minimum printing speed bug). I've been asking for a permanent fix for over 2 months now. Is it difficult to, by default, throw in some M400 codes before a new layer is supposed to start?

Return to “Software”