Can't print a small hollow box

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
manne

Can't print a small hollow box

Postby manne » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am

Hello all,

I am trying to print a small quadratic box one layer thick but no settings in Ideamaker seem to get rid of the problem I have. When the extruder has went around one turn clockwise, it starts the next layer at the same x/y-point and and changes direction to counter clockwise. The edge at which direction change happens become broken all the way up.

I have tried many different settings and combinations for "Layer Start Point Type", "First Layer Start Point X", "First Layer Start Point Y" and "Place Seam On" but no combination seems to change the behaviour - it always starts a new layer at the same place where it left off from last layer and it always changes direction.

Spiral vase mode works but I would not like to use this mode.

Why isn't the "Layer Start Point Type" changing anything? To me, a random starting point for a new layer really sounds like it should jump to a random and different x/y-point before it starts drawing the layer. No matter how I configure Layer Start Point, it always starts at the same place.

How would I configure Ideamaker so that the whole edge doesn't break?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Can't print a small hollow box

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 pm

Would you like to share your .idea, .gcode and .data files with us?

ACatesWWT

Postby ACatesWWT » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 pm

I too am having issues with the seam always starting at the same point (even with random seam turned on).
IMG_2699.JPG
I am running Ideamaker 4.1.1.5050. Nothing I do seems to alter this behavior. It will occasionally pick a random seam, but always goes back to the same spot later.
Attachments
7-16 DIN Dust Caps v1.data
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
7-16 DIN Dust Caps v1.gcode
(635.95 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
7-16 DIN Dust Caps v1.idea
(286.87 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm

You can try slicing with Fixed for Layer Start Point.

ACatesWWT

Postby ACatesWWT » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 pm

@vicky, I can try that, but i fail to see how that will allow the slicer to randomize the seam? I was able to minimize the seam separation by turning off retractions, but i also dont want the stringing associated with doing so. Especially when i want to print multiple parts and the movements will create a lot of it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:04 pm

There are a lot factors can affect strating points. You can try profile iterator to optimize the settings on ideaMaker.io.

https://www.ideamaker.io/iterator-home.html
https://www.ideamaker.io/blogDetail.html?id=67

ACatesWWT

Postby ACatesWWT » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Fixed seam did what I expected it to, fix the seam to a set point. In my observations, this seems to be a single part issue (at least with a cylinder shape such as this). My theory at this point is that since there are technically no convex or reflex corners for the slicer to reference, it defaults to placing the seam in the same starting point. When I added multiples of this part on the bed, it started randomizing the seams (this is likely a byproduct of the printer jumping to random parts as it progresses through the layer). I can try your iterator, but again, I still don't see how this will solve the issue with the slicer not introducing a random seam when selected (not to mention I've already tried many iterations on my own in finding a solution). At this point, I'm assuming this is a bug (or limitation) with the slicer and am just dealing with it as best as possible. If necessary, I can always use an alternative slicer for my needs (assuming this issue doesn't persist across all other available slicers).

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 pm

We have considered about optimizing this when trying to introduce Seam Corner but ended up finding out it has conflict with Nearest.
We will check whether there's any other option we can add to enable the detection of this.

Return to “Software”