Coasting setting ignored?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Sascha Uncia

Coasting setting ignored?

Postby Sascha Uncia » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:47 am

Hello, I am trying out IdeaMaker coming from Cura. My printer is the Anycubic Mega X. I am liking the slicer so far but am having a few small issues and playing whack-a-mole.

Anyway I think I found a bug, I was printing some test cylinders* to tune coasting settings as I was getting ugly Z-Seam on overhangs on the side of my benchy**. I had coasting set to 0.2mm in the profile, and then added per layer settings to use different values as the cylinder printed along the Z. No difference.

So I set the coasting to 3mm in profile thinking maybe it was ignored by layer settings, or I was doing something wrong, I also set per-layer settings to excessive values for testing (0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm). Still nothing. Other settings like wipe and retraction worked with what I had set up, but changing coasting settings seems to have no effect on the shells. I'll attach my w.i.p. profile here in case anyone wants to look at it.

The secondary issue I had is that the default settings from the PLA template for some reason had overhang shells turned on at 30d, overhang flow set to 80%, and overhang speed set to 10mm/s. It took me all day to find the cause of the artifact on the hull (blobbing and over-extrusion where the print head suddenly slows from 35mm/s to 10mm/s and the pressure in the nozzle needs out; see attached image). It may be worth looking at the PLA default templates that come with the software as this can be a very cryptic problem to diagnose.

* 30mm height, 10mm radius, no top/bottom/infill, 2 shells, forced retraction on layer change and outer shell.
** The cylinders had a clean z-seam and I'm still looking for a fix.
Attachments
20210715_224706.jpg
ugly artifact from default overhang shell settings.
Ingeo 870 PLA-export.bin
PLA profile modified from defaults
(47.02 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by Sascha Uncia on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha Uncia

Re: Coasting setting ignored?

Postby Sascha Uncia » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:39 pm

Here are some better images of the artifact and a speed view in ideamaker. This is not a Z-Seam

20210716_133748.jpg
Better view of artifact

Screenshot 2021-07-16 133906.jpg
Slicer view of artifact

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Coasting setting ignored?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:23 pm

It is pretty obvious to see coasting applied in Preview if you incrase the value to be higher.
Image_20210719121504.png

BTW, which PLA Default template you are slicing with? Normally overhang shells is disabled in default template.

Return to “Software”