.idea files don't contain Printer, Extruder, or Template information

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
DaHai8

.idea files don't contain Printer, Extruder, or Template information

Postby DaHai8 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:04 pm

I'm coming from Simplify3D where Project files contain everything about the model and how to slice it, including all the Process parameters like: the printer, filament, slicer settings, etc., so you can easily reload an old project and get all those setting back to tweak and slice again.

I thought that what was in an .idea file, but apparently not.
I set the 3DBenchy with a specific Printer, Primary Extruder and Template, as well as Group and Layer settings. Slice it, save the .gcode and (useless?) .data file, and then save the .idea file.
Then close the project and set a different Printer, Primary Extruder, Template and clear out the Group and Layer settings.
Then import the 3DBenchy.idea file and all those settings (except Group and Layer) don't change back to the ones I used to slice it with.
Really not sure what good an .idea file is if it doesn't retain all the printer settings?
Am I missing something? Or does ideamaker not have this functionality like S3d?
Thank you.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: .idea files don't contain Printer, Extruder, or Template information

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 am

From version 4.0, ideaMaker starts saving slicing template settings in .idea file. You can import slicing settings with .idea file.
Not showing slicing information directly from .idea file is for helping the users not getting confused with the existing profiles in ideaMaker.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 am

But when I import the .idea file, it does not set it to the printer or filament type used in that project.
This is just not acceptable. I disagree that it is more confusion to muck up the settings from the original for a project file (.idea) that to just restore and show all the setting used to slice that object.
This is a deal breaker. I can't use this software to restore and show all the properties of a project if your '.idea' files won't do that.
Simplify3D does this with their .factory files, PrusaSlicer does it with their .3mf files, Cura does it with their .3mf, And I don't hear anyone getting 'confused' by properly restoring all the settings for a project. So you're saying your users are too 'dumb' to understand a true project file?
If you don't do this, what's the point of the .idea file anyway?

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 am

Ok, maybe there is a miscommunication. As I just can't believe your answer. So here is exactly what is happening:

1) 3D Benchy model set with:
Printer: JGAurora A4+
Primary Extruder: [SunLu] TPU 1.75mm (2 templates)
Template: Adaptive Infill
Capture1.PNG

2) Save As Project File: 3DBenchy.idea
Capture2.PNG

3) File: New. Then changed:
Printer: HyperCube Evolution
Primary Extruder: [kexcell] PETG 1.75 (1 template)
Template: PETG [Black]
Capture3.PNG

4) Opened Previously Saved Project File: 3DBenchy.idea
Capture4.PNG

5) 3DBenchy Loaded. But the Printer, Primary Extruder and Template are still set as in step #3 (above) and not changed back to what they were set and saved in Step #2.
Printer: HyperCube Evolution, but was saved as JGAurora A4+
Primary Extruder: [kexcell] PETG 1.75 (1 template), but saved as [SunLu] TPU 1.75mm (2 templates)
Template: PETG [Black], but was saved as Adaptive Infill
Capture5.PNG

Clearly, while perhaps the .idea file is storing the Printer, Primary Extruder and Template information, it is not restoring it back into the IdeaMaker workspace when it is loaded in. This is a BUG

kb9ydn

Postby kb9ydn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 am

I would have to agree, this is quite bad behavior. When you open an .idea file it should contain ALL the settings as they were previously saved. This should include printer, filaments, and templates. If there is a difference between the .idea file and any of the printer/filament/template settings, it should give the option to use the .idea file settings or override them with what is currently in the system.

C|

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:07 am

There's slicing information saved in .idea file. But if loading the information directly into ideaMaker it may have conflicts with the already existing settings in ideaMaker.
For example, if there's a printer with the same name in both .idea file and in ideaMaker but having differnence in some settings, ideaMaker will be confused whether the same template needs to be updated when loading the .idea file.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:22 am

Then add a suffix of '-copy' or '-imported' or the name of the idea file that was imported (ie: '-3DBenchy.idea').
S3D and all the other slicers I mentioned handle this just fine.

Like I said before, this current behavior makes the .idea file useless. Why bother even saving this information if it can't be used?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:16 am

We can add an one-click update feature to update the settings in template to match .idea file. You can select no/cancel if you don't want the the settings in profile to be affected by .idea file.

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:33 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We can add an one-click update feature to update the settings in template to match .idea file. You can select no/cancel if you don't want the the settings in profile to be affected by .idea file.

I'm sorry, I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'll you need to do is look at how the other slicers handle this, instead of coming up with new, broken, way of doing this.

Here's an example of the RIGHT way to do it:
In Simplfy3D, when you load in a '.factory' file (the S3D equivalent of the .idea file), it loads it in with the '(modified)' suffix on the Profile Name:

Factory1.PNG

You can use that 'modified' Profile as-is for you current print session, or you can save it (Update Profile) to overwrite the default one in S3D, or you can save it as a new profile and give it a unique name (Save As New), as well as delete it (Remove).

If you select another Profile, you will be prompted to either Save the Changes of the Modified Profile back to the Original, or just discard it completely.

Factory2.PNG

Hope this helps

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:56 am

I asked the same question in a separate thread.
I am totally of your opinion! It’s a MUST having stable settings everytime i reuse an .idea - file. Until now a made a manual notice in notepad with the correct template for every idea-file. Stoneage:-))

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:27 pm

The same is also valid that we need to have stable profile when you create a new .idea file, the profile should not have been change by the last slicing operation. Both need to be in use, stable saved profiles and sliced .idea file should be persistant.
This printers / filaments / profiles seems to be handle by files in a single folder instead of some database with hierarchy.
After 9 months of use of ideamaker I still don't get the idea behind this implementation.

Also I didn't found a way to delete/disable all useless printers/filaments like 3mm filament where you use only 1.75mm, editing the config.xml file didn't work, they are recreated at next start.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:34 am

So that's why we feel an one-click update can be helpful. The difference can be existing in printer type, material, slicing settings.
And we will also make two sections.
One is Local Storage having the current printer, material and slicing profiles in software. And the other one will be the infomration pulled from .idea file.
The users can pick use the ifnormation in .idea files or not for next slice from there.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:50 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:So that's why we feel an one-click update can be helpful. The difference can be existing in printer type, material, slicing settings.
One is Local Storage having the current printer, material and slicing profiles in software. And the other one will be the infomration pulled from .idea file.
The users can pick use the ifnormation in .idea files or not for next slice from there.

Yes, that would help for sure.
Could be good also to have possibility to save the settings in the .idea as a new template.
An what about disabling/removing not used printers or filaments ?
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:So that's why we feel an one-click update can be helpful. The difference can be existing in printer type, material, slicing settings.

Ok, I understand what you are suggesting and that sounds excellent!

Thank you!

kb9ydn

Postby kb9ydn » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 pm

This would be great as long as there is a way to print using ALL settings entirely from the .idea file without having to update anything in the program's printers/filaments/templates and any group/layer overrides.

C|

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 am

Blue21 wrote:

Yes, that would help for sure.
Could be good also to have possibility to save the settings in the .idea as a new template.
An what about disabling/removing not used printers or filaments ?

Removing the default filament and printer profiles has been added into developing list. We will release it in future versions.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 am

kb9ydn wrote:

This would be great as long as there is a way to print using ALL settings entirely from the .idea file without having to update anything in the program's printers/filaments/templates and any group/layer overrides.

C|

The influence of Per-layer and Per-Group settings will be taken into consideration.

muzzlitebeer

Postby muzzlitebeer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Removing the default filament and printer profiles has been added into developing list. We will release it in future versions.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to that!

iPa

Postby iPa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Hi,
I totally agree with DaHai8, for now I am totally in trouble with this behavior, how can we load a project without getting back all printing parameter?
I am coming from S3D too, then I tried Prusaslicer, for now I think it’s the better for that, 3 sections Printer-settings Filament-settings(with temperature) and Print-settings then if you load something overwriting your default parameters there is an icon indicator and you can swap between default value and new value (a missing feature in S3D).

Another point, I don’t understand why temperature are not linked to the filament. if I print something with my standard settings, shells, top and bottom layers, speed, ... I would like to swap from PLA to PLA+ just by selecting another filament.

But impressed by the print quality!
Thank you for this promising software.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:37 am

The settings information is currently already saved in .idea file. We will consider adding support for importing setting directly from .idea file as we mentioned above.
There are override settings which including temperature and other settings under Filament Settings.

Return to “Software”