Set Origin Corner location?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
DaHai8

Set Origin Corner location?

Postby DaHai8 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am

Is there a way to set the location of the Origin Corner?
Two of my printers have their home (origin) position in the right rear.
The other one is standard front-left.
Having it display correctly without having to remember to rotate the print box around really help orient the object for printing.
Thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Set Origin Corner location?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:00 am

You mean setting the origin point to the right rear corner and everything on left and front are all negative value?
Do you have any working gcode file can share with us?

DaHai8

Postby DaHai8 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 am

No, it puts the origin (home) at the right-rear and sets the X+ to the left, Y+ forward. It doesn't change the gCode. It changes the display to reflect the positive direction of the X and Y axis that the printer moves.
I the attachment, you can see the setting in Simplify3D that does this and the resultant orientation of the Print Origin for this printer.
These printers have their Print Origin and Home at the right-rear, and move X+ (positive direction) to the left (instead of standard right), and Y+ (positive direction) to the front (instead of the standard backward).
Having the build plate origin in IdeaMaker correctly reflect the origin position of the printer helps properly align parts for the best cooling and build sequencing.
Hope this helps.
Origin.PNG

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:25 am

Thanks for your feedbacks. We will add this request into developing list.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm

I'd also like to add that I need the setting to invert an axis, in my case, the Y-Axis.

It would help significantly in using my new belt printer, the Creality CR-30 PrintMill.

Which by the way works perfectly in IdeaMaker 4.1.1 on macOS Big Sur on a M1 MacBook Air.

PS: Great slicer!
Seit 50 Jahren am Basteln, jetzt an 3D-Druckern, u.a.: Anycubic 4Max Pro & Predator, Creality CR-30 PrintMill, Elegoo Mars 2 Pro & Saturn, Hevo (Laser), Qidi i-mate s & X-Max, Ultimaker 3, V-Core Pro, ...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 12, 2021 1:58 am

Would you like to advise more details about the Belt Printer Invert Y?

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Wed May 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Printing on the belt printer starts at the farthest point of what is the Y axis on a normal printer and in the slicer.

For each layer the belt moves forward by 1.41 * layer height.

So the slice preview should start with layer 1 in the front of the print area and expand to the back for the following layers.

But it expands forward as you can see in the attached pictures. This is irritating.

Also the model should be automatically placed as close to the front of the print area on screen, not in the middle in the Y direction as with normal printers.
Attachments
Belt 1.png
Belt 2.png
Seit 50 Jahren am Basteln, jetzt an 3D-Druckern, u.a.: Anycubic 4Max Pro & Predator, Creality CR-30 PrintMill, Elegoo Mars 2 Pro & Saturn, Hevo (Laser), Qidi i-mate s & X-Max, Ultimaker 3, V-Core Pro, ...

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 am

Some more problems / enhancement requests concerning belt printers:

In the following paragraphs I refer to the lowest position on Y and Z as 0, even if it rather is the layer height, just for better readability.

The settings for the first layer in the tab "Speed", "First Layer Speed" and "Slow Down First Few Layers", don't work for the belt printer, because a belt printers first layer is not at Z=0 but at Y=0.

Also in "Layer" all the options under "First Layer Settings" only apply to the very first printed line (or vertical wall) along the X-axis which is at Z=0, but for a belt printer this also has to be at Y=0.

So belt adhesion is a gamble, because the settings that you provide to optimize it just don't work on a belt printer because the first layer starts at Y=0 for the whole Z length. As opposed to Z=0 for the whole Y length of a normal 3D printer.

The "Platform Additions" Raft / Skirt and Brim also don't work at all for the same reason: referring to the wrong axis.

The current but 3 years old default slicer for belt printers "CrealityBelt" (aka BlackBelt, a Cura 3.6.0 OEM) has the option to treat the „walls“ touching the belt separately which fixes exactly that problem. But this is just a hack because the belt printer handling there is done by a plugin. But this old software doesn't work anymore on the current macOS 11 Big Sur of my main computer, so I wanted to use IdeaMaker for my new Creality CR-30 PrintMill, as I don't want to be forced to use a Windows laptop just for that...

Maybe you could integrate this properly by switching your already available first layer functions from Z=0 to Y=0 when the option "Belt Printer" is activated in "Printer Settings / Advanced".

Looking forward to enjoying to use your fine slicer on my newest printer too in the future.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 14, 2021 10:36 pm

Belt printer normally starts from the rearest corner of Y axis according to how belt is rolloing. So from visual preview, the squential should be fine.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Sat May 15, 2021 7:04 am

My Creality CR-30 PrintMill and all the other consumer belt printers I've ever seen work this way:

For reference: the observation point (the user) is in front of the printer.

The belt moves from the back of the printer forward to the front, this is the Z axis.
The X/Y plane is slanted 45 degrees upwards, with Y=0 at the back of the printer.
Y=0 also is at the lowest point, touching the belt.

The X axis is also inverted compared to most cartesic 3D printers: X=0 is on the right side.

The printed object moves toward the front of the printer with each new layer on the Z axis.
So the next printed layer is located behind the previous one, compared to above it on a normal 3D printer.
This is the only way to print at a 45 degree angle.

In the IdeaMaker preview the new layers are added toward the front of the printer as the object is built.
This is irritating because it's the opposite direction to what I described above and what can be observed in reality.
On a bellt printer it is not the printhead that is moving along the Z axis but the printed object, like in any Makerbot or Core XY 3D printer.

Furthermore there's only one single line at Z=0.
The height of the object can only increase by moving it toward the front of the printer by increasing the Z position.
So for the "First Layer Optimizations" you have to take Y=0 as reference, not Z=0.

Please see the attached pictures, the perspective in the screenshots is the same as in the photos.

PS: Because of the inversion in the X and Y axis the imported object had to be rotated 180 degrees around the vertical axis so that the vertical wall parallel to the X axis is printed first which is the orientation the object has been constructed in.
Attachments
IdeaMaker 2.png
IdeaMaker 3.png
IdeaMaker 4.png
CR-30 1.jpg
CR-30 2.jpg
Last edited by alfrank on Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Sat May 15, 2021 7:09 am

Finished print.

Here you can also see that the "First Layer Optimizations" don't work: the belt adhesion was so bad that the print is partially detached from the belt because the first layer (Y=0) was printed much too fast using the "Outer Shell Speed".
Attachments
CR-30 3.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 am

The side of model close to the belt should use belt wall settings to adjust value.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Tue May 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Which Belt Wall Settings? Where are those?

The only belt printer setting I can find in my IdeaMaker 4.1.1 on macOS Big Sur is in Printer Settings / Advanced the toggle on the bottom left and the field to enter the angle next to it.

I don't see any of the options shown here: https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/4 ... -1389.html

Oh great, I found them: hidden behind the plus sign in the "Prepare to Slice" window...

...but there's no tab for them in the advanced settings when I edit a template.

Also I'm not sure what "Belt Offset refers to the distance between the model and the conveyor belt." means.
Why should there be a distance between the model and the belt? Shouldn't it be directly on top of it?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-18 um 19.59.38.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-18 um 20.02.10.png

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 19, 2021 4:24 am

The belt offset controls the gap between model to the belt. If it is too small, the model will be too close to the belt.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 pm

Isn't that already the first layer height?

If not, what's the difference, please?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 am

Belt printer has 45 degree angle. The first layer is not the layer by the belt.

alfrank

Postby alfrank » Wed May 26, 2021 7:48 pm

Ah, so you're not translating the normal settings to the belt printer at all.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 am

The first layer means the first layer of the print. The first layer of the belt the layer with 45 degree which is not by the belt. So it will need other settings to control. If you turns the 45 degree to make it back to flat, you will see the first layer of the model and the first layer of the print is not the same layer.

ServerGoon

Postby ServerGoon » Thu May 27, 2021 5:56 pm

DaHai8 wrote:Is there a way to set the location of the Origin Corner?
Two of my printers have their home (origin) position in the right rear.
The other one is standard front-left.
Having it display correctly without having to remember to rotate the print box around really help orient the object for printing.
Thanks!

If there is such a thing, I would like to upvote this request. I use other slicers, but was watching some reviews and decided I'd check out IdeaMaker for the sequential printing and the ability to adjust settings per grouping. However, when doing the sequential printing, it attempts to adjust the models front to back, which ends up translating on my printer as back to front. Not necessarily a deal breaker since other slicers offer sequential printing, but I do like the expanded options per model/group that IdeaMaker offers.

Thanks,
Mark A. Mace

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 28, 2021 12:13 am

Are you looking for Invert Y axis feature?

Return to “Software”