What settings are stored in a .data file?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
svandru

What settings are stored in a .data file?

Postby svandru » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:33 pm

I know the .data file contains some template information, but it is everything there?
  1. All settings in the slicer / main template?
  2. All settings in the slicer / group and layer settings?
  3. All settings in the slicer / per model extruder?
  4. All settings in the filament / filament settings (including gcode and overrides)?
The options I see on importing an .idea file make it look like 1 and 2 are yes while 4 is no. I don't know about 3, though; I've never used it.

I work with many filaments and optimize settings for most projects. I want to save all settings necessary to replicate a project later. Right now I go through 4 steps, and then expect to import all 4 back in.
  1. save the .idea file
  2. export the main template
  3. export the group and layer settings
  4. export the filament.
I only have 1 printer, so I don't have to export that.

The exported filament is in JSON, so I know that has all the filament info in it, but .data and template parts are encrypted during export, so there is no way of knowing what is in those files. Couldn't these other exports be in JSON?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: What settings are stored in a .data file?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 pm

.data file includes information you have listed from 1, 2 and 4. You can restore the setting via importing .date files.
3 is considered as information related to Project so it is in .idea file.

From version4.0, the newly saved .idea file will include slicing information. We recommend users at least save both .idea and .data files.
Other ones such like, .printer, .filament files have template information.But those information can also be found in .data file too.

svandru

Re: What settings are stored in a .data file?

Postby svandru » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Return to “Software”