G02 and G03 in Ideamaker on Raise3d?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
FOGD.NO

G02 and G03 in Ideamaker on Raise3d?

Postby FOGD.NO » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:33 pm

I bet this is not used today. but could it? Would be better for curves and circles right?

https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G002-G003.html

Jetguy

Re: G02 and G03 in Ideamaker on Raise3d?

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 am

Given that the input format STL doesn't actually have arcs, being the firmware doesn't support arcs, not the genius idea you think it is.
There are good reasons it's not implemented nor is it likely to be anytime soon.

Jetguy

Re: G02 and G03 in Ideamaker on Raise3d?

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:43 am

The reasons I said what I said was, history and listening to this discussion a couple of times a year for the last 10 years.
G2 arc support requires end to end complete overhaul to actually properly implement. In other words, it starts at CAD supporting and incorporating true arcs, then exporting in a format that doesn't break the arc into segments upon export format, and then a slicer that takes this special input file, understands and supports arcs, creates gcode containing arcs, and then the firmware that actually and properly supports arcs.

Do some Googling and share what you find. Again, this discussion goes on all over in the 3d printing world. In 10 years, I've yet to see even remotely mainstream examples. https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?1,236207
I'm sure someone somewhere with a different brand and definitely different slicer has printed G2 arc, and sure, there are all kinds of debates of could it be a better way, but I've not seen mainstream or even one company build an end to end solution (CAD, export, slicer, firmware) and then make that mainstream.

Return to “Software”