642-edges, 566 Non-manifold -- Ooops

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Olly Oxenfree

642-edges, 566 Non-manifold -- Ooops

Postby Olly Oxenfree » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi All
ETA: IM-3.6.1

I have hit a roadblock with the World's best Slicer. Pretty sure that this is actually manifold. Cura and PS seem to think so.
I suspect it is the holes with chamfers on the curved faces as "Repair," fills them in. Is there any way I can slice this in IM?

hold.jpg

hold-0702c6.obj
(150.89 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Surface-Pro-2, 8-GB, 256-GB-SSD, Linux-Mint-20.0, 19.3 with Cinnamon
Retired Programmer, ASM, COBOL, Fortran, C, C++, C#, Pascal and more

Jetguy

Re: 642-edges, 566 Non-manifold -- Ooops

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Netfabb says it's not. I'm not trying to get too deep into yet another argument over STL and design rule checks, but no, it's not passing the checks. I've uploaded a repaired version from Netfabb.
Attachments
hold-0702c6 (repaired).stl
(91 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Untitle2.jpg
Netfabb1.jpg

Olly Oxenfree

Postby Olly Oxenfree » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 pm

Thanks for the file, I will check it out. Not having been here for a year or more, I am not privy to the STL-issues you allude to. But, I'd rather understand the issue as I am sure this is not an isolated instance. In fact I saw the Non-Manifold thing with another .obj file yesterday and was then called away. The next time I started IM it was happy with the .obj file. But whatever I thought I did yesterday did not work today with what I remembered doing yesteray.

Anyway, are you saying that an STL file format would have handled it OK? The printer PC is in another building and not online or network so can't test to see. I can change the output format to .stl, but FreeCAD defaults to .obj when saving and that makes it just a little easier use.

All that not withstanding and in the interests of user-happiness, surely this should be fixed some way within IM. It should not only sometimes handle .obj files. Do, or do not, there is no sometimes (my apologies to Yoda)

Both Prusa and Cura happily loaded and sliced. Having just recently found how good this version is, I am loathe to use the others. But, if I can't slice everything with IM then I can't slice anything with IM.

Slicers are getting very complex and having to understand all nuances of 2 or 3 slicers is not an option for my tired old brain. So, can we have this fixed such that I (or anyone else) need not come here hat-in-hand begging for a corrected file?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 am

You will still be able to slice with Non-manifold surface existing. ideaMaker will try to repair before slicing. You can check Preview after slicing to double confirm the result.
Cura and PS are not professional model repair software. You can take their result as reference but can't gaurantee their report is 100% accurate.

Olly Oxenfree

Postby Olly Oxenfree » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You will still be able to slice with Non-manifold surface existing. ideaMaker will try to repair before slicing. You can check Preview after slicing to double confirm the result.

Nope, it would not slice. Clicked the button and nothing but the yellow triangle and "!". I had already tried "Auto Repair" and it turned the model into a crazy-Picasso object with lines going everywhere and the holes blocked off.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Cura and PS are not professional model repair software. You can take their result as reference but can't gaurantee their report is 100% accurate.

I'd beg to differ on that, especially Prusa-repair, but I will not get into a shouting match with anyone over such pointless trivia. Bad mouthing the opposition does your reputation no good at all. Just be nice and do not mention them in a bad light, even if it may be so.

I went back to FreeCAD and saved it as an .stl and IM had no problems slicing and the print turned out excellent. As mentioned in previous post this should be fixed as trying to force IM to process an .obj it is confused over, is **not** a very professional approach. Only a fool would then spend 12-hours printing the GCode in the hope it was going to be OK.

With 3.6.1, you have a slicer that is now better than **all** (IMHO) free slicers and some $200 ones, so run with that and keep making it better.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:00 am

The warning in ideaMaker is trying to tell users that there is error in this model which may affect slicing result.
But before slicing, ideaMaker will try to repair the model itself. It is possible it can fix all the issues or mabe just a few. So if the preview pf the slicing result looks good, then there is no need to do extra repair.

Return to “Software”