Remove excess solid fill on angled surfaces

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
kralobots

Remove excess solid fill on angled surfaces

Postby kralobots » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 am

Hey there,

I've browsed through the forum extensively and tried a few suggestions, but nothing I have tried Completely removes the excess solid fill for angled surfaces as shown below.

I've asked in the past for the solution and at the time it seemed to work, but now the little buggers are back since I updated to the latest version of IdeaMaker.

Most suggestions revolve around playing with the value in 'Solid Fill Minimal Width' and on some angles, I can get it to disappear, but I have yet to find an option to completely disable them.
See my Solid Fill settings page attached - maybe I'm missing something.

The reason I want to disable it, is that it generates thousands of REALLY TINY lines, that make my printer skip steps because of my speed rate and the size of my bed (It's a larger version of the creality CR-10) - all that mass can't change directions as fast as this crazy infill orders it to, so I get skipped steps if I try and print beyond around 20mm/sec.

I've been slowing down my prints to get them to print without skipping, but having the option to turn these off so I can print at a reasonable speed would be nice.
I believe it could be creating unnecessary wear and tear on the printer as well, hearing the motors buzz as it tries to keep up with the direction changes.
Attachments
solidfill3.PNG
solidfill2.PNG
SolidFill1.PNG

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Remove excess solid fill on angled surfaces

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:57 am

The solid fills are used to improve the strength of the model when Step Over sections are too large. If you want to have less, you can increase Shells and Solid Fill Minimal Width.

kralobots

Postby kralobots » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:32 am

Thank you for the quick reply, apologies for my late response!

From what you've stated, it sounds like it cannot be turned off without adjusting other parameters?
I also use Cura, and I haven't seen it generate extra thickness on angled surfaces like this.
I much prefer the UI and access to settings that Ideamaker provides, but until an option to disable this feature is added I'll have to keep using Cura for higher speed prints.

Is disabling this feature something that could potentially be looked at for the next IdeaMaker update?

If not, I totally understand, thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:58 am

Printing result is decided by all the slicing settings in slicing software.
The default Cura in different templates in Cura and ideaMaker are not 100% the same with each other, some default may work well with your model some may need adjusted according to your result. ideaMaker still have these settings available for you to modify to provide you better printing result.

Return to “Software”