Some beginner help please

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
liquidmonkey

Some beginner help please

Postby liquidmonkey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Hello,
My E2 just arrived today, am super excited to start printing!!
I'm starting out very basic with a simple sign with a word cut out of the middle, and am wondering a few things,

1) do i need a raft for this print? why? is it to prevent warping?
2) after i do a slicer preview my model looks different. Maybe this is common but seems to be an extra layer on top, maybe 1mm which surrounds the text. Why is that?
3) is 4hr 40min normal for a print this size? 10% infill is used. The sign is 5mm thick, 150mm wide and 190mm long INCLUDING THE LITTLE STICK THING.
4) if i wanted the stick thingy to be a different color, how do you point one extruder at only that part?

so many questions being a complete beginner but thanks for getting me started here, much appreciated!!
Attachments
sign2.JPG
sign1.JPG

zemlin

Re: Some beginner help please

Postby zemlin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:42 pm

1) You do not need a raft. A raft helps compensate for build surface irregularities and some folks prefer the appearance of the build on a raft. The bed clearance to the nozzle is not as critical either. It adds to the build time though and many folks do not use them. I do not.

2) That is perimeters around the letters. Just as you have so many shells around the outside, you have them around the letters as well. It is not an extra layer - it will be at the same height as the solid infill surrounding the letters.

3) the build time does not seem unreasonable, but we'd have to know your speed, nozzle size, layer thickness and all that as well - all those factors come into play. You can reduce build time by increasing speed, which usually results in some additional artifacts in the print due to the speed. You can use a larger diameter nozzle and thicker layers to reduce the build time.

If you want the stake to be a different color:
- Paint it
- Add features so you can build them in two pieces and glue them together
- make them separate models and print with two materials using dual extruders

While the last option might seem like the best option, printing with dual extruders open up a whole host of challenges and generally results in substantially increased build times because there are additional things that need to be built - like a prime tower - ooze shield - and there may be delays in the tool change depending on how tool temperatures are handled. Hold off on dual extruders until you've grown bored with the ho-hum of single extruder prints.

DrewPetitclerc

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm

The e, a and o, will lose the centers, they are not connected to the rest of the part, common mistake people make with lettering and full machine through.
Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiver...etitclerc/about
https://www.tiertime.com/community/

liquidmonkey

Postby liquidmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you very much for the reply, much appreciated!!
Will give this a try then and worry about multi-color until a bit later, thanks!

my nozzle size is 0.4 and the am using the 'standard' profile, which has a layer of 0.2mm.
A faster profile probably wouldn't matter for this type of print, its just a garden sign :) so i'll try a few different ones a go from there.

zemlin wrote:1) You do not need a raft. A raft helps compensate for build surface irregularities and some folks prefer the appearance of the build on a raft. The bed clearance to the nozzle is not as critical either. It adds to the build time though and many folks do not use them. I do not.

2) That is perimeters around the letters. Just as you have so many shells around the outside, you have them around the letters as well. It is not an extra layer - it will be at the same height as the solid infill surrounding the letters.

3) the build time does not seem unreasonable, but we'd have to know your speed, nozzle size, layer thickness and all that as well - all those factors come into play. You can reduce build time by increasing speed, which usually results in some additional artifacts in the print due to the speed. You can use a larger diameter nozzle and thicker layers to reduce the build time.

If you want the stake to be a different color:
- Paint it
- Add features so you can build them in two pieces and glue them together
- make them separate models and print with two materials using dual extruders

While the last option might seem like the best option, printing with dual extruders open up a whole host of challenges and generally results in substantially increased build times because there are additional things that need to be built - like a prime tower - ooze shield - and there may be delays in the tool change depending on how tool temperatures are handled. Hold off on dual extruders until you've grown bored with the ho-hum of single extruder prints.

liquidmonkey

Postby liquidmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:The e, a and o, will lose the centers, they are not connected to the rest of the part, common mistake people make with lettering and full machine through.

very true and thanks for pointing that out. i'm looking at a different font and will take out the 'middles' before the final slicing.
might even reduce print time a bit.

Michael_3D

How do I remove the "Raft" option

Postby Michael_3D » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:46 pm

I am learning IdeaMaker (at least trying to) and I also get the preview showing the raft. However, my beginning prints do not need a raft - what is the procedure in removing the raft so that the Gcode will not be produced telling the printer that it is part of the print project?
The "help" component of IdeaMaker doesn't even have the word Raft in the search results.

Thanks in Advance -

Michael
-----------------------
Michael Sturgeon, PhD :shock:
Research Consultant / 3D Printing / Asst. Professor
Lee University; Cleveland, TN

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Michael_3D

Postby Michael_3D » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Thank you Vicky. I appreciate your assistance.
Is there a manual for the E2 in PDF that I can download ?
I changed my order from the Pro2 to the E2 - as I am not one for taking machines apart when they need repair and the E2 was advised to me.

Michael
-----------------------

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am

You will receive a quick starter guide in printer box during unboxing. It will show you the steps to unbox, setup and slice and start your first printer on your E2.
All the other manuals we have created for E2 are in our Support Center.

Michael_3D

Postby Michael_3D » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 am

Thank you Vicky
-----------------------

Return to “Software”