Feature to add to IM

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
A6y_N0rma1

Feature to add to IM

Postby A6y_N0rma1 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:57 pm

I would like to see the ability to have both skirt and brim in the drop down menu. Currently, you can have skirt only or brim only, but not both. Should be easy to program in. Not sure why it's missing.

Jetguy

Re: Feature to add to IM

Postby Jetguy » Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 pm

A6y_N0rma1 wrote:I would like to see the ability to have both skirt and brim in the drop down menu. Currently, you can have skirt only or brim only, but not both. Should be easy to program in. Not sure why it's missing.

Somehow, I don't get it.
Brim is skirt that attaches to the model. Conversely, skirt is a brim that has a gap that keeps it from attaching to the model. Both are just concentric lines of adjacent extrusion around the perimeter of the model.

Skirt is there to prime the extruder and give the user some clue while watching first layer if the bed to nozzle gap is correct and flowrate and so forth.
Brim is there to help with adhesion. It's just an attached skirt.
Brim will prime the nozzle and it's throwaway anyway so some tiny bit of filament that made it into brim from the prime, should be enough layers out from the actual object to not even matter.

Just trying to fathom using both brim and skirt- extra waste and for what purpose?
It takes away usable build area
It wastes a tiny bit more time and plastic
You still throw it away at the end of the print.
Attachments
Skirt or Brim.jpg

Return to “Software”