Printing part sections with TPU and PLA

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
addy.cdc

Printing part sections with TPU and PLA

Postby addy.cdc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Hello Raise3D community! I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find anything related...

Would it be possible to print the same part with sections of different material type? My aim is to print a part with PLA and combine it with a section of TPU that will help with achieving airtight elastic properties. The TPU seems to stick well to PLA, so this should not be an issue with part's integrity.

I'm thinking that one way to achieve this is to pause the print and swap filaments. But the main issue is the different printing parameter of the two filaments. Temperatures are similar (both extruder and bed), but speed and retraction parameters are different.

I am using a dual extruder N2+ machine, but use currently only one extruder.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Printing part sections with TPU and PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:38 pm

I haven't tried it myself, but I have some suggestions may can help you start from.
Technically you use a modifier for the sections of the model for TPU and input all of the TPU settings so that it will use those settings for those parts of the model.

jetdillo

Re: Printing part sections with TPU and PLA

Postby jetdillo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:33 am

addy.cdc wrote:Hello Raise3D community! I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find anything related...

Would it be possible to print the same part with sections of different material type? My aim is to print a part with PLA and combine it with a section of TPU that will help with achieving airtight elastic properties. The TPU seems to stick well to PLA, so this should not be an issue with part's integrity.

I'm thinking that one way to achieve this is to pause the print and swap filaments. But the main issue is the different printing parameter of the two filaments. Temperatures are similar (both extruder and bed), but speed and retraction parameters are different.

I am using a dual extruder N2+ machine, but use currently only one extruder.

I've had some success with splitting the model into two parts. Ideamaker will often work okay for this(Go to "Ungroup" in the "Model" submenu). Assign a nozzle to each separate part(The drop-down menu in the upper left corner), then do "align all" in the "Move" submenu.
This will align them back together, but leave them as separate parts. Slice and then print, with PLA loaded in one extruder and TPU in the other.

N.B. This requires that you align the nozzles together for dual-headed printing, which there are multiple HOWTO postings for elsewhere on the forum.

Return to “Software”