Global z-offset not working as expected

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Patronus

Global z-offset not working as expected

Postby Patronus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:50 am

I want to move away from Buildtak for many reasons so I started printing with the Wham Bam system recently. I also got myself a sheet of high-temp glass 3mm thick. There's a 2.2mm difference in thickness between these two so I thought that I could compensate for it using the global z-offset, in other words create profiles for each. I made the z-offset -2.2mm for the glass (which is the thinner of the two) but the print started in the air. So I though maybe it should be +2.2mm because there's no proper description in the software or the manual. I got the same result. I tried -4mm just to see what happens and still no difference. From what I can see this setting has no effect. Do I misunderstand how to use it? I'm not planning to physically adjust the z-offset every time I switch between the build surfaces (glass is better for ABS & PLA, Wham Bam seems to work well with PA and PC) so I want to compensate for the difference in height with software.

Patronus

Re: Global z-offset not working as expected

Postby Patronus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:01 am

Vicky?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Would you like to share your gcode file here?
If the global Z offset is too high, the first few layers may drop to negative value, which are not supported by the firmware.

Patronus

Postby Patronus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi Vicky, here is the gcode.
Attachments
Raise3D Glass Bed Handle.gcode
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 am

According to your gcode, seems the Z value of the first few layers are negative values which can't be processed properly by the firmware.
If you are using 0.3mm as your first layer height, my suggestion will be not using any value out of 0-0.3mm for Z offset.

Return to “Software”