Simplify3D Offsets - Preview vs Actual Print doesnt align

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
NewbPilot

Simplify3D Offsets - Preview vs Actual Print doesnt align

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Im having problems utilizing the entire bed on my N2 when using S3D. I searched the forums and found 2017-18 posts about dual extrusion, but never my issue, single extrusion.

Specifically, What's happening is i fill the bed fairly well, expecting the print to start around 12mm in from the left edge and about 35mm up from the bottom of the y - roughly. It seems to have the left/bottom X "ok", but if you look, that top right coin is on the bed and should have enough room to print, even if the skirt is out of bounds. However, if you look at the print itself, it cut off the last 5-10mm of the coin.
Screenshot 2020-02-12 09.53.42.png

I tried modifying the the Origin Offset in S3D under GCode, and it basically made my bed bigger but didnt seem to print any differently. I tried modifying the Global G-Code Offsets and didnt see a difference. I am sure I am doing something wrong - positive in fact. I just cant figure out what. I would expect that I go to just about the edge of the right side of the bed, but still be able to print.

Do i have to set the bed at like 315 X and 315 Y and just keep in mind i cant use all of it? That seems terribly wrong.

markm

Re: Simplify3D Offsets - Preview vs Actual Print doesnt align

Postby markm » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:09 am

I noticed the setup in S3D I got had x=305, y=280 and an x origin offset of -25 (in G-code). This doesn't match the printer, I don't know why the -25 but I suspect it has to do with the dual extruder. Anyway I made a box outline 304x304mm and when I printed it it clipped the left side. I changed the build volume to 305x305 with 0 offset and it prints correctly.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:03 pm

markm wrote:I noticed the setup in S3D I got had x=305, y=280 and an x origin offset of -25 (in G-code). This doesn't match the printer, I don't know why the -25 but I suspect it has to do with the dual extruder. Anyway I made a box outline 304x304mm and when I printed it it clipped the left side. I changed the build volume to 305x305 with 0 offset and it prints correctly.

Im at 305x305 and no offsets, still clips :(

Screenshot 2020-03-18 14.02.40.png

markm

Postby markm » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:50 am

Which extruder are you using, I always use the left and can't really say how they take the offset into account. i.e. I don't know if both extruders can cover the same 305mm or if it's 305-25 when using both or offset when using the right. Just a guess.
I use S3D and was able to print 304 on the left with no clipping.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 pm

Just a reminder, this got extra complicated when they changed how dual extrusion offsets work in the raisetouch application.
You need to know what version of raisetouch you are running and what defaults you have set.

I say this, because the OLD way was your gcode for left and right extruder had offsets. The problem was, fine tuning adjustments had to be made at the slicer, the entire gcode resliced, and then that gcode was ONLY valid for that printer. Imagine a group or business with multiple printers and keeping track of customized offsets for each printer.

The NEW way is the Raisetouch application (the LCD control panel and print file gcode streaming application) has a setting to either use the old way, or use the new way where the offsets are stored in this as settings in raisetouch and since that's on the printer, it applies the offsets before sending the gcode line by line to the motion board.

So if you don't know that, and you have offsets enabled in raisetouch, and you send gcode with offsets= double offsets.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm

So, again, go into your raisetouch, figure out what system you are using, and then knowing that, THEN adjust your raise3D profile to the same system.

Personally, I would leave it at offsets at the printer, so adjust S3D with NO offsets. That's the most logical as it would maintain that both Ideamaker and S3D just send simplified gcode without offsets, and the actual fine tuned offsets are right there on the printer.
Last edited by Jetguy on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm

https://www.raise3d.com/download/raiset ... ase-notes/

Happened at anything higher than
Version 0.9.10 – June 5, 2018
Added Extruder Offset Settings for N series printers

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Actually, I should better frame this.
Specific to the N series, the old way of the slicer doing the offsets was actually not ideal. Many other systems and brands (both slicers and printers) had gone to the offsets stored in the printer model of operation.

It took until version 0.9.10 of Raisetouch for Raise3D to update the system to the better offsets stored in the printer.

Because that took some time, a lot of posts, articles, tutorials, and yep, you guessed it, profiles built into other slicers like S3D had the OLD way of offsetting the gcode at the slicer method.

That's why you ended up here.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 pm

FYI, motion firmware limits to 305 regardless of what you send it.
The actual hardware may or may not be able to reach that based on lost offset by the limit switch placement and so forth on some printers.
The kicker is, the bed was not under the nozzle position when homed, so you lose a decent build space because of that too.

Return to “Software”