Fixed Layer Start Point

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
cb9501

Fixed Layer Start Point

Postby cb9501 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi,
I've been doing some calibration prints, and noticed that on a prints such as these:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2266503
and
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2625999

it appears to start a layer on one "pillar", move to the other pillar, and when done, it begins the next layer by raising the z axis and starting in the position it finishes. The layer completes on the opposite pillar, and begins the next layer again at the nearest point.

This appears to happen regardless of if the Layer start point setting is set to nearest, or fixed. It appears that when set to fixed and position is 0, 0; it should start each layer at the nearest point to 0,0 for each layer based on the manual:
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-436.html

This would give the layer some time to cool before dragging the extruder over it again.

Is there another setting that conlicts with layer start point fixed, that is preventing it from starting each layer at the same fixed start point, or am I misunderstanding the intended behavior?
Thanks,
Casey B

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Fixed Layer Start Point

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 am

The Start Point of each layer are decided by the rule of Fixed Nearest. If you want to have multiple isolated regions in one layer, and want every layer print in the same order, you can enable the option called Print Parts in Same Order for Each Layer.

cb9501

Postby cb9501 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 am

Hi Vicky,
Thanks for the quick reply. The towers are part of a single object/region. What I'm trying to accomplish is to start at the left tower, finish at the right tower, then move the nozzle back to the left tower to start the new layer. It seems that the layer start point set to fixed should accomplish what I'm hoping for, but with all three options for layer start point it seems to always start the next layer at the same position that the previous layer finished at (each layer starts on the opposite side). I also tried checking the print parts in same order setting, and I still get the same result. Any other ideas? This is the model I'm referring to:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2266503
Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 am

If you won't move or rotate the model in ideaMaker before slicing, you can set the Fixed Start Position to be X -100, Y 0.

cb9501

Postby cb9501 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks again Vicky,
That was a good hint. It still doesn't appear to work as expected, but I did get it almost there. Setting the fixed start position to x-100, Y0 doesn't make the layer start in the same corner every time either.

I did figure out that if the seam hiding setting is set to none (as it has been in all my prior testing), the layer always starts at the nearest corner to where the last layer finished. If seam hiding>>place seam on is set to reflex or convex corner the layer seems to always the corner closest to the bottom left. If I move the model so that the right corner is very close to the axis 0,0 the slice preview still shows each layer starting at the most top left corner regardless of if the model has pillars or is a single structure. for instance this model set to fixed 0,0 and seam hiding on reflex or convex corner puts the layer start at the left corner of the model for every layer. It should place the layer start in the right corner of every layer, right?
https://ibb.co/Lh1DQCB

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:38 am

Would you like to attach your gcode and data files here so that we can see whether there is any other setting is affecting this?
We tried one of your model with default HQ settings and fixed start point at -100,0, each layer always started at the same corner.

cb9501

Postby cb9501 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:47 pm

I figured it out! So as I mentioned before, at this point if a model has "Pillars" or separated sections in individual layers, the "place seam on" setting needs to be set to something other than none or else the fixed position will be ignored and each layer will start from the place the last layer left off.
I wouldn't think this is the intended functionality, but if it is I think the documentation should at least be updated to make this caveat clear.

Secondly, the fixed point setting seems to start from the bottom left corner of the bed, where the red, green and blue axis is. This means that if you want to use the center of the bed as your fixed point, you need to set the fixed point coordinates to half of your bed dimensions. So for a 200mm x 200mm bed, x=100 y=100. If the model's layers don't have any separated sections, the fixed point setting behaves as expected, and even with place seam on set to none I can get a layer to start on a non corner, and it seems to go to the nearest point to the chosen coordinates that intersects the first shell of the layer that gets printed.
I also think the starting point being the bottom left corner of the bed is something that would be nice to include in the slicer's online manual.

Thanks for the responses. Take what you will from my opinions/findings, but I'm all clear on the current functionality as it is now.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am

Thanks for your updates!
Will forward your thoughts to developing team and see how we can optimize our documents.

Return to “Software”