ideaMaker's Print profile VS Filament profile. Which is primary?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Alf

ideaMaker's Print profile VS Filament profile. Which is primary?

Postby Alf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello. I am a new user of ideaMaker software but already really like it. Everything is as should be in a perfect slicing software. And that was until I decided to print with another filament.

But first things first.
Several days ago I installed ideaMaker and created my Printer profile, then I created Filament profile (PLA) and then I created my Main template with all the settings related to this PLA. Then I created several new Filament profiles for ABS and PETG. And I saw that I can simply add some of filament-specific settings such as Fan speed (for ABS printing) plus hotend and hotbed temps specific to filament type. I thought: "Wow! That's really smart!"...
All went well because I thought that any of my Filament profiles can be selected for my Main printing template so that Filament profile's settings would override some of Main profile's ones. But looks like Filament profiles are "more main" than my Main printing template and I can only do exactly opposite thing: create new template for each of my filaments.
Is there a reason for that? Isn't it more logical to have such hierarchy:
"Printer profile -> Print template -> Filament profile" instead of "Printer profile -> Filament profile -> Print template".
That way we could create one or two perfect Print profiles and override some of their settings simply by selecting different filament profiles.
Or am I simply missing something?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: ideaMaker's Print profile VS Filament profile. Which is primary?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 pm

If you have set override settings in Filament Template, those settings will override the same settings in Main Print Templates. You can uncheck the override option to use all the settings in main template.
The reason why this logic has been applied is, you can choose only one filament as the Main Print Template and it will always be the one you choose for left nozzle. What if you have some special filament on right nozzle can't handle the settings you put in Main Print Template, then the overrider for this filament under its Filament Template will take care all the those settings.
So the settings in Filament Override Settings are more like the minimal printing requirements to be able to print this filament.

Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:What if you have some special filament on right nozzle can't handle the settings you put in Main Print Template

Thanks, I didn't think about that. :?
I even tried to "trick" ideaMaker and tried to use Per-Group settings for my purpose but it didn't work. Temperature and fan settings that I need cannot be selected in Per-Group overrides list. Oh well, guess I will have to get used to this existing logic and first create my perfect printing profile which then will be exported and imported back in all of Filament profiles. Thank you again! :roll:

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 pm

The Main Template varies with filament type and printer type. If you want to have some settings in printing templates for different printers always the same with others, you can duplicate the template and put it under other printer types.

Alf

Postby Alf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 am

I just thought. Can you add an option to "Print templates" to make some of them some kind of shareable between multiple Filament profiles? So when we change settings in suchprinting template for, let's say, PLA filament, these settings would also automatically change for PETG filament that is using the same shareable template.
That should solve my question from the first post and I hope that it's not too complicated to implement on top of existing appllication "philosophy" in the future versions.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Instead of having setting-share template, I would recommend use Pro-Group settings to override the settings for all your prints in that group.
Use the same share template for different printer or different filament may cause unexpected damage or failure if the user can't guarantee go through each single setting before starting each print.

Alf

Postby Alf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Pro-Group settings

Where can I find these? I've looked everywhere but didn't find them. If you mean "Per-Group", not "Pro", then there are no settings to override these features: Fan Speed Control List and Heated bed and Extruder temperatures.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 am

My bad. I want to say Per-Group. The settings selected under Per-Group setting will have higher priority to apply to slicing than settings in main template.

Return to “Software”