ideaMaker 3.4.2 Release Notes

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Vicky@Raise3D

ideaMaker 3.4.2 Release Notes

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 am

Dear all,

We have released the new version of ideaMaker 3.4.2 last weekend.

Release Notes:
Bug fixed based on user feedback.

Read More
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/ideamaker-changelog
Download ideaMaker 3.4.2: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download

JIGM

Re: ideaMaker 3.4.2 Release Notes

Postby JIGM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 am

Good morning,
for when in Spanish

miszun

Postby miszun » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:31 pm

100% infill is not 100% infill anymore near circular edges.
not full infill.png

In previous IM versions 100% infill activated top layer infill across the model. Now forcing that by setting 999 top layers still gives worse results.
not full infill 2.png
not full infill 2.png (4.17 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

In IM 3.3.0
Actually inner shells and infills works as coasting was active, although it is set to 0.
In some cases those changes means that produced parts go to the thrash.

For many models I need better control of internal structures. So I design parts as multibodies, where one set of bodies represents solid areas, and second set represents the infill. Whats more this allows for good mass calculation in design software and more reliable results in FEM analysis. For the the first set of bodies I set 100 infill, and for the second set I set 0 shells in IdeaMaker. This technique allows us printing complicated parts where the mechanical properties are important, especially for flexible parts.
In IM 3.4.x calculating of infill overlap has changed. First i didn't know what's going on. All prints were ruined. Then I figured out that now I have to add 50% to overlap parameter to get similar results to IM 3.3.0. Where earlier it needed 15% overlap, now I have to set to 65%.
Below is example of the same model and the same profile used in:
IM 3.3.0
example IM330.png

and IM 3.4.2
example IM342.png

Infill overlap for infill areas was set to 42% (for special reason), and in IM 3.4.2 it resulted that infill not welded to the solid areas at all. For parts with smaller infill overlaps (like 8%) difference is dramatic.
Solid infills are messy too.

All that above means that upgrading to IM 3.4.x require fine tuning most of our settings, where we have many profiles for specific model families, all in the production line. Of course we now produce from saved gcodes, but adding anything new needs fine tuning.
I would say that upgrading software from 3.3 to 3.4 and using the same profile should give exactly the same results, you can optimize movements or so, but filament have to be laid exactly the same in the model.
Or at least give us a possibility to keep different IM versions installed and working simultaneously on the same computer.
Now it looks like the only method of avoiding production disruptions and not getting stucked with one version of your software forever is keeping a separate computer for each IM version we ever used to generate gcodes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 am

JIGM wrote:Good morning,
for when in Spanish

Thanks for you suggestion. Will forward your request to developing team.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:05 pm

If the infill setting is set as 100%, the version 3.3 will make all the layers of this model to be Top or Bottom Solid layers. But the issue it brings is the Infill settings can be applied onto the layers in main body. So we think they should be separated. If you want to keep it the same as before, you can increase the quantity of Solid Layers.

For using different versions of ideaMaker, you can install one version first. Then copy everything under installation directory to another directory then install another version.
You can set different configuration folders for different version of ideaMaker, You can find more information from the following link: https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15712

Would you like to share your Gcode and STL files with us to have a look?

miszun wrote:100% infill is not 100% infill anymore near circular edges.
not full infill.png

In previous IM versions 100% infill activated top layer infill across the model. Now forcing that by setting 999 top layers still gives worse results.
not full infill 2.png

In IM 3.3.0
Actually inner shells and infills works as coasting was active, although it is set to 0.
In some cases those changes means that produced parts go to the thrash.

For many models I need better control of internal structures. So I design parts as multibodies, where one set of bodies represents solid areas, and second set represents the infill. Whats more this allows for good mass calculation in design software and more reliable results in FEM analysis. For the the first set of bodies I set 100 infill, and for the second set I set 0 shells in IdeaMaker. This technique allows us printing complicated parts where the mechanical properties are important, especially for flexible parts.
In IM 3.4.x calculating of infill overlap has changed. First i didn't know what's going on. All prints were ruined. Then I figured out that now I have to add 50% to overlap parameter to get similar results to IM 3.3.0. Where earlier it needed 15% overlap, now I have to set to 65%.
Below is example of the same model and the same profile used in:
IM 3.3.0
example IM330.png

and IM 3.4.2
example IM342.png

Infill overlap for infill areas was set to 42% (for special reason), and in IM 3.4.2 it resulted that infill not welded to the solid areas at all. For parts with smaller infill overlaps (like 8%) difference is dramatic.
Solid infills are messy too.

All that above means that upgrading to IM 3.4.x require fine tuning most of our settings, where we have many profiles for specific model families, all in the production line. Of course we now produce from saved gcodes, but adding anything new needs fine tuning.
I would say that upgrading software from 3.3 to 3.4 and using the same profile should give exactly the same results, you can optimize movements or so, but filament have to be laid exactly the same in the model.
Or at least give us a possibility to keep different IM versions installed and working simultaneously on the same computer.
Now it looks like the only method of avoiding production disruptions and not getting stucked with one version of your software forever is keeping a separate computer for each IM version we ever used to generate gcodes.

miszun

Postby miszun » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Vicky, you are right it should be separated. But still it needs to better fill in the layer. I set top layers to 999 if I want to get it old way, but even then the filling is still worse than IM 3.3.0.
I can't share gcodes, because these are production files of commercial product. I would need to prepare separate files specifically for demonstrating the problem, but have no time now (70+hrs/week), sorry. Your colleagues can easy check the problem comparing how different infills work in IM. There are much more air near the shells now. There are cases when this is really important.
Thank you for suggestion about method of installing different IM versions. I'll try that. Anyway Raise3D team could think about it without time consuming workarounds. You will bump into the problem of 100% backward compatibility sooner or later as 3d printing is moving now to the industry.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:53 am

We can try to add more options to do compensation in new version. If you have any interest to try it, we can see whether we can build a beta version for your operation system.

MMER1116

Postby MMER1116 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 am

The calibration files that were in earlier versions of IdeaMaker are missing from version 3.4.2. Are they available somewhere else?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 pm

It is under Examples -> Calibration.
Screenshot_20190722125204.png

Return to “Software”