Why is there 2 different places to set nozzle diamiter?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
xygote

Why is there 2 different places to set nozzle diamiter?

Postby xygote » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Was messing around with 3.4.0 Beta Ideamaker software and ran in to a slight issue. When I went to slice it said I had conflicting nozzle diamiters. I double checked in everywhere I knew to check and found 2 different places to set nozzle diamiter and verified they were the same (0.8), but it kept giving me this warning. So why is there 2 places to set that up? It is a finite hardware setting, there should only be 1 place to set this. Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot see a reason to actually have 2 different settings and if that is true there is no reason to have 2 different conflict able places to set it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Why is there 2 different places to set nozzle diamiter?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Do you mean the Nozzle Diameter under Printer Settings and the Extrusion Width under Extruder in Advanced Settings?

xygote

Postby xygote » Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes, The Extrusion width is the one I have issues with. It is under the advanced for the template under extruder. It should be one or the other. Having a program that can have contradicting settings does not make for an easy experience. Isnt extrusion width and nozzle diameter the same thing?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm

We normally consider the Nozzle Diameter under Printer Settings the real physical size for nozzle. And when you carry out the slice, the slice will take Extrusion Width value under Advanced Settings to use slicing.
Sometimes people will use a little larger or smaller Extruder Width comparing with the real nozzle size depends on filament type or some other reasons. But we always recommend you to change the Nozzle Diameter under Printer Settings everytime when you changes the nozzle size on printer. So that ideaMaker can help you double confirm whether your two settings have large gap between each other or not. Because we do find people forge change one of the values after changing nozzle.

Heckler

Postby Heckler » Sun May 05, 2019 6:35 am

I had this issue as well after changing my left nozzle to a 0.6, after setting it up under printer settings. I changed the extrusion width in advanced settings and I got the error you mentioned, I found that when I changed the extrusion width in advanced settings for my left extruder it "copied" that setting automatically to the right nozzle, to fix it I had to go back to the advanced settings extruder tab and click on the right extruder tab, then check the "enable right extruder configuration" box then change the right extruder width back to 0.4 for the right nozzle.

xygote

Postby xygote » Sun May 05, 2019 11:42 pm

@heckler

Thanks, that helps a lot. :)

Return to “Software”