How do I get a rounded edge?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
treyco

How do I get a rounded edge?

Postby treyco » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm

I am having an issue with Ideamaker and my Pro2 creating this model with a rounder edge. If I use my Dremel 3D45 and the Dremel slicer, it comes out looking perfect. I have tried to mimic the settings the best I can and I've even tried with and without support and dropped the support angle down to 15 degress but still can't get any better than this picture I"ll post here. I'm also posting the model as it appears in IdeaMaker. I actually rotate it and print it upside down as it is hollow on the inside. Does anyone have any ideas why it would come out like this and what I could do to make it better?

TimerCoverIM.JPG

TimerCover.jpg

Anubis

Re: How do I get a rounded edge?

Postby Anubis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Does it look correct in the slice preview? If so, it must be a settings/hardware issue. Insufficient cooling? Hard to tell.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm

treyco wrote:I actually rotate it and print it upside down as it is hollow on the inside. Does anyone have any ideas why it would come out like this and what I could do to make it better?
So the face we see in the slicer image you are actually printing on the machine bed? In that case the flat face is on the bed and it transitions from the fillet to the vertical edge as the part is just starting the print.

If that's the case, I'd call it a cooling issue - that the material is curling up on the overhang causing the inconsistent radius. What material is this, and how is your printer set up to run the part?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Do you only have issue with the supported overhang surfaces?
Have you tried smaller vertical offset of supports?

treyco

Postby treyco » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm

zemlin wrote:
treyco wrote:I actually rotate it and print it upside down as it is hollow on the inside. Does anyone have any ideas why it would come out like this and what I could do to make it better?
So the face we see in the slicer image you are actually printing on the machine bed? In that case the flat face is on the bed and it transitions from the fillet to the vertical edge as the part is just starting the print.

If that's the case, I'd call it a cooling issue - that the material is curling up on the overhang causing the inconsistent radius. What material is this, and how is your printer set up to run the part?

Everything you assumed is correct. I am using Raise3D premium pla.

treyco

Postby treyco » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you only have issue with the supported overhang surfaces?
Have you tried smaller vertical offset of supports?

I get the same issue whether I use supports or not.

Return to “Software”