eSun ABS+ vs. eSun ABS

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
JohnSays

eSun ABS+ vs. eSun ABS

Postby JohnSays » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:53 pm

I have never used ABS, but I have printed a lot of ABS+ from eSun. With it I get exact dimensions. So, if I specify a hole size in the final part, I get that hole size and all my hardware slips into the part perfectly. That is the upside. The downside is that I cannot use an acetone mist to smooth the parts and this is something I need to do with my current project.

Given that ABS shrinks ~4% (I have read), can I use the Horizontal Size Compensation in S3D or do I have to modify every hardware interface to be 4% larger? Or neither?

What is the best way to handle the shrinkage?
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

walshlg

Re: eSun ABS+ vs. eSun ABS

Postby walshlg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:44 pm

personally, Id test it

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm

I use alot of esun abs (cos its cheap and consistant quality) but it does not readily dissolve in acetone - it gets sort of mushy but only after an extended soak.Never runny like propper ABS such as E3D MG94 grade ABS - which is fantastic stuff.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 pm

You can print a test cube with esun abs and measure the size.
Then go to ideamaker, under printer settings, change X/Y compensation to compensate for the shrinkage.
Then try printing more complicated test model and see if that gets you the correct dimension you want.
Also you can try Raise3D Premium ABS as well.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks everyone. Good data about eSun ABS not behaving well with acetone.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Return to “Software”