Coasting stalls my hotend momentarily

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Alex87

Coasting stalls my hotend momentarily

Postby Alex87 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi there! I've got to start this topic by telling you all that I'm new to ideamaker, and also to this forum (in fact this is my first post). I love ideamaker, but I'm having no luck with it's coasting feature.

Basically what I'm observing is that whenever the coasting initiates (when the E motor stops moving) the other motors stops for a short time, making the hotend freeze in position for a fraction of a second before it completes the perimeter. Obviously this causes a blob to form.

Is there any way I can prevent this? Or am I better of not using coasting? My setup is an Ender 3 running on a duet WiFi board if that should matter.

I'll appreciate any light shed on this. Thanks in advanced!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Coasting stalls my hotend momentarily

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 am

Would you like to share the gcode and date files with us to have a look of your settings?

Alex87

Postby Alex87 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 am

Thanks for the reply! Of course! I'll be out of town for a few days now, but I'll be sure to remember uploading them for you guys when I get back!

3D printing noob

Postby 3D printing noob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:52 pm

STOP USING COAST!! Use the features of the firmware and board you installed.
https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Pressure_advance

Coast is amateur hour way of adjusting for pressure advance. It's crude, it's simplistic, and problematic- as seen.
Pressure advance is the firmware properly compensating for the extruder pressure ramp cycle at the start and end of each segment, a much more proper way of tuning. You have the features, you paid for it, it's a crying shame to see you use coast and then wonder why it doesn't work.

All coast does is break an extruding segment into 2 segments- one is extruding, the second isn't. Your printer then follows this gcode and the result is, at the end of a line, the printer moves the nozzle but doesn't extrude during that last mm of movement as the pressure bleeds off. More likely than not, something about that second non-extruding segment of gcode is missing a feedrate or some other factor- so the move takes more time and slows down making it appear to stop. Again, coast is a simplistic method of pressure bleed- not even pressure advance as it does nothing for the start of a segment, it creates more lines of gcode your printer must follow, and mistakes can cause issues.

Russ406

Postby Russ406 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Is this available on the Pro2 firmware 0.6.6?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:17 pm

No, pro2 firmware is closed source and has limited features- another reason to buy any printer but a Pro2 series.
N series, you have a fighting chance and could load custom firmware and pressure advance is well known and supported.

Return to “Software”