Heating error: takes longer as expected

Timmel

Heating error: takes longer as expected

Postby Timmel » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

Hey,
i have a problem with my pro3 (6 months in moderate use).
It worked fine until 1 week ago. Since then the right extruder will not heat up and is ending up in an error message which says temperatur is not rising as expected (not word by word).
It is not related to the hotend, since the left one is still working even when i exchange the hotends.
The right hotend always shows a temp of roomtemp ~22°C.
I've searched a little and found out its quite a common problem but just not exactly like mine.
Any recommendations what to check or to do?
This problem even occurs when trying to load or unload filament.

Sorry if my english is not 100% correct - not a native speaker ;)

Best regards from Germany,
Tim
Attachments
MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpeg

ZombiePach

Re: Heating error: takes longer as expected

Postby ZombiePach » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 am

You’ve got a fried hot end control board. Reach out to support and they’ll walk you through trying to reset it, but it’s likely toast.

ZombiePach

Postby ZombiePach » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:44 am

Meh, you’re in Europe so I understand that support is lacking there, here’s the instructions I was given. Obviously this is older so the current version of RaiseTouch is different, but you get the gist:

Thank you for reaching out with your issue with the Pro3 series printer. It may be helpful to ensure the printer's firmware is up to date. The current hotend sub-controller firmware is 1.1.0121.

https://www.raise3d.com/download/

Download and put the file at root directory of a FAT32-formatted USB 2.0 Flash Drive or SD card. (Do not modify the file name)
Power OFF the printer, mount the USB Flash Drive, power ON the printer to apply the latest update

Then, select the Gearwheel icon > Update > Local Update > Update Motion Controller Board Firmware.
There should be a file with gears on the icon. Please select this file to run the firmware update for the firmware on the Pro3 printhead.

When the installation is complete, please power off the printer, and refer to section C of this guide to access the board on the printhead.
https://support.raise3d.com/Pro3-Series ... -1502.html

When the board is accessed, please power the printer back on. When the printer has completed booting, please carefully press the Reset Button indicated below. This should reset the hotend controller board on the printhead.

The printer may benefit from a power cycle for changes/reset to take effect.

If the Left side hotend is still not detected, please power off the printer and temporarily disconnect the cable marked ( 2 ) above.
Then, carefully reconnect the cable ensuring it is properly seated.
Afterwards, power the printer back on and please test the Left side again.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Timmel

Postby Timmel » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:02 pm

Thanks for your fast answer mate! I will try this by latest tomorrow and let you know if it worked. Today also the second Hotend failed to heatup so no excuses anymore - gotta fix it:')

Gamma

Postby Gamma » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:37 pm

Yea it looks like your hot end control board is fried as this has happen to ours once. You can try to reposition the hot end contact board on the extruder assembly as it might not getting a proper electrical connection. I have had many issues with this part even today where the hot end looses contact and stops the build.

Timmel

Postby Timmel » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am

Yes you both were right. Its probably fried. Did all the updates which were successful and still no action taken by the hotends. Also proved a proper fit on each connector on hotendboard. I will now order a new one and hope its done afterwards :) Will tell if it worked. Thanks and best regards!

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm

Looks like I have the same issue with my Pro3. Exactly.

I will be submitting a ticket.
Just wanted to post so others see this may be a common issue.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:48 pm

Our issue ended up being the Hotend Control board as well. Looks like this is a very common issue on this printer and there are many causes of it unfortunately.

As quoted "A hotend heating up with no heat command is normally the result of the motion controller board no longer working properly. Things like hotend encapsulations, cleaning the hotends with the printer on (using a brass or metal brush), or the hotends becoming damaged due to a print failure can lead to the HCB no longer working."

This is unacceptable to me. These things should not cause the HCB to be shorted out and cause Raise3D customers to keep forking over more money for these expensive boards. This is a weak links for sure.

Return to “Pro3 Series”