Extruders aren't zero correctly on X axis

JG!

Extruders aren't zero correctly on X axis

Postby JG! » Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Just got my E2, went through the calibration and printed the medallion that comes with the machine. That printed fine along with the offset print head multimaterial cubes. I created a few print files with ideamaker and this is where the trouble started. For some reason, the left extruder now thinks it's home -3,0,0 position is past the median line of the build platform on the right. I double checked ideamaker and how the files were positioned. For some the extruders are not going with their true zero points and shifted 150mm+ to the right. I also tried to reprint the medallion and that now too has been pushed all the way to the right side of the build plate. So much so, the left extruder is crashing into the right extruder and making that awful noise the machine makes when it's calibrating. I obviously shut it down quickly to avoid any damage... Any body ever experience this and know how to fix it????

JG!

Re: Extruders aren't zero correctly on X axis

Postby JG! » Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 am

Went through to make sure all the firmware is up to date. Tried to rerun the calibrations and still the left extruder thinks it's home position is in the middle of the build plate. I also tried to roll back the firmwares but that didn't do it either. Reset everything to factory, nada. Even in the Ultilities section where you can move the axes. I'll move the left extruder all the way left, it shows it in that position, I can jog it left and right no problem and actually get it to go back to the true -3 position. I hit the home button and it goes right to the middle and then I can't jog it back to the true -3 anymore, i thinks that is now in the middle. I think my motion control board has gremlins....

JG!

Postby JG! » Tue May 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Looks like the left extruder's X axis home sensor is shot. I noticed there is an LED in the right extruder's home sensor that is glowing, and the left extruder's not. With the go ahead from Raise3D tech support, I switch the sensors to see if I could get the left sensor to light up on the right side and the right sensor to light on the left side. With the switch, the left sensor did not light up and the right sensor did so it appears to be the left home sensor is not working. They will be sending out a new sensor. Interestingly enough though even with the right sensor working on the left and nothing plugged into the right side, jogging the left extruder on the x axis is still not working correctly. Could be a band feedback loop since one sensor just isn't present. Hopefully it's just the bad sensor and not something bigger.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 pm

JG! wrote:Looks like the left extruder's X axis home sensor is shot. I noticed there is an LED in the right extruder's home sensor that is glowing, and the left extruder's not. With the go ahead from Raise3D tech support, I switch the sensors to see if I could get the left sensor to light up on the right side and the right sensor to light on the left side. With the switch, the left sensor did not light up and the right sensor did so it appears to be the left home sensor is not working. They will be sending out a new sensor. Interestingly enough though even with the right sensor working on the left and nothing plugged into the right side, jogging the left extruder on the x axis is still not working correctly. Could be a band feedback loop since one sensor just isn't present. Hopefully it's just the bad sensor and not something bigger.

Based on what you have described it sounds like the optical endstop may be faulty. I would suggest creating a support ticket so that we can get you a replacement sensor.

JG!

Postby JG! » Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 am

I did, got the new sensor and all seems good now with homing correctly. It calibrated correctly and I was able to print the test cube no problem. I did try an IDEX print later today and it had an overlapping problem. I think it's unrelated. but will continue to monitor.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri May 14, 2021 11:56 pm

JG! wrote:I did, got the new sensor and all seems good now with homing correctly. It calibrated correctly and I was able to print the test cube no problem. I did try an IDEX print later today and it had an overlapping problem. I think it's unrelated. but will continue to monitor.

Happy to hear it fixed the issue!

Return to “E2”