New Raise3D E2 - very loud fan noise

ashfox2002

New Raise3D E2 - very loud fan noise

Postby ashfox2002 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 pm

I set-up a new E2 3D printer and straight away I noticed a very loud high pitched noise comping from the Hot-end / extruders.
https://youtu.be/GoTctUo14j8

This is not my first E2 printer, we have a demo unit which has been very quiet, working away near my desk and can barely hear it.
I checked for any observable issues, obstructions etc, nothing seen. Checked for firmware update. Full power on / off.

Any advice, apart from sending it back?

Vipao

Re: New Raise3D E2 - very loud fan noise

Postby Vipao » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:58 am

The noise you hear is produce by the two frontal extruder fan. They are not controller via software and they can be switched off only shutting down power supply. The fan Speed controller via software acts only on model fan installef on side of both extruders. If you want obtain less noise when no printing, you can automatically shut down rear exaust hepa filter fan. Option can be enabled via touch screen but i don't remember exactly where... I suppose in advanced settings...

ashfox2002

Postby ashfox2002 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 am

The side mounted fans on the extruder which cool the 3d printed parts are just very loud (high pitched) which can still be heard when the enclosure is down (doors closed).
We have a another E2 which is a trail unit, and this didn't make this noise.
I tried loosening the shroud and then removing it, this didn't help.
I updated the firmware/OS and the only change is that now these fans are off by default on power up, before the firmware update the fans were on by default after power on (setting 30).
I visually cant see any thing wrong but these fans are seriously loud, set anywhere from 1 to 30. Seems like there is some kind of coil resonance / coil whine, but tuned perfectly to make noise. This type of fan similar to what might be found in a laptop shouldn't make noise.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 pm

ashfox2002 wrote:I set-up a new E2 3D printer and straight away I noticed a very loud high pitched noise comping from the Hot-end / extruders.
https://youtu.be/GoTctUo14j8

This is not my first E2 printer, we have a demo unit which has been very quiet, working away near my desk and can barely hear it.
I checked for any observable issues, obstructions etc, nothing seen. Checked for firmware update. Full power on / off.

Any advice, apart from sending it back?

Based on the video that you have provided it looks like the side cooling fan may be defective. I would suggest creating a support ticket so that we can RMA you a new side cooling fan.

Return to “E2”