Slow Prints?

AbeFM

Slow Prints?

Postby AbeFM » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:37 am

Howdy! I've been printing for a number of years and had a number of printers... I'm looking into getting an E2 for my employer and thought it would make sense to slice a relevant model..... And it looks like it takes way too long to print, possibly in the realm of double.

Is there a mm^3/sec number for these extruders? I have very little experience with ABS/ASA but the default print time with stock settings was like more than a factor of 2 over what I had been seeing.

I guess my question is how fast can you go with just bigger nozzles?

On my mk3s prusa I did this part in PLA with a preset in <6 hours, here putting equivalent 0.8 nozzle/lines * 3, 0.3 z I got the same part predicted in 9 hours. I didn't tweak the suggest print speed, but I'm hoping I could go a bit quicker. I'm hoping that I could get the PLA performance close, and that ASA/ABS could also get similar increases.

Basically, are the slow speeds because of the nozzle, the whole extruder, or just very conservative settings? Sorry if it's a vague question. :-)

skyzzzzz

Re: Slow Prints?

Postby skyzzzzz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 pm

I'm assuming you are playing around in idea maker? Be sure to look at the idea maker community for other filament print settings. The built in from raise3d are pretty conservative. The motion system of the E2 can get pushed much faster/harder than the mk3s with less noticeable ringing than a slowed down prusa. Once you get the speeds higher the extruder seemed to be the limiter. I did try a larger nozzle and it was able to bump speeds some more but I didn't have an e2 specific nozzle so I didn't want to push my luck. Second though, idea maker may have a timing multiplier that over estimates. Simplify3d has this feature and always over estimated.

AbeFM

Re: Slow Prints?

Postby AbeFM » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:13 pm

That was kinda my impression. I've seen machines that run that slow, but generally it's just letting perfect be the enemy of good. It's hard to quantify and I appreciate the attempt. Comparing it to a Prusa means it's good enough, cause if this doesn't work out the parts are getting done on one. :-)

While I'm asking: Has anyone run softer materials (NinjaFlex - something in an <85a shore)? That's not driving my decision, but it would be nice to know.

Return to “E2”