Smart Filament Sensor

TwinsTalk

Smart Filament Sensor

Postby TwinsTalk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello,

I do have a smart filament sensor which does have an encoder and does send out pulses every 7mm of used filament.
If the computed extrusion amount is less then what the encoder counts the print stops.

See here:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07ZYLCKNM

This is working for marlin firmware. Is it possible to add this feature to the E2 so I can replace the filament run out sensor with two of these?

thx.

-TT

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Smart Filament Sensor

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 am

Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 am

Steven@Raise3D wrote:Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

It is at 20 EUR on Amazon, it would be considered as expensive for a cheap printer at 300$, but is the E2 really so cheap ? From customer point of view, the answer is no.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

TwinsTalk

Postby TwinsTalk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am

@Steven

Maybe you got me wrong. I was asking for implementation of this amazon device into the firmware.
It is based on marlin right?

-TT

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 am

Steven@Raise3D wrote:Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

Retailing the Raise3D printers at a not inconsiderable price tag and to then fit an unreliable optical sensor to save a few pennies does not make any sense.

After having three replacement sensors and then a complete replacement E2 printer because of sensor failures only to find out later that the cause was that the sensors do not sense some solid colours such as yellow, the fitting of such cheap unreliable sensors was a very poor decision by Raise3D.

Allram

Postby Allram » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 pm

TwinsTalk wrote:@Steven

Maybe you got me wrong. I was asking for implementation of this amazon device into the firmware.

-TT

The E2 is based of Duet :) so Reprap/Sprinter

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:52 pm

TwinsTalk wrote:@Steven

-TT

The E2 is based on a version of RepRap firmware, not Marlin.

Return to “E2”