E2 extruders cables and tubes touch the cover

Blue21

E2 extruders cables and tubes touch the cover

Postby Blue21 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:18 pm

In reference to "Re-Home XY on Power Failure?" https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20851&p=56729#p56729
I am starting this thread as this seems important for people like me buying the E2 not for PLA but for higher temperature filaments.

There are now Z home setting that can be set in case of STOP, PAUSE and COMPLETED.

a) There is a strange things in the settings limits as the limit for paused print is 239 mm and the other 2 (stopped and completed) are 240 mm, any reason for that ?

b) I am more concerned about this one as I tried such settings and realize that when the Z axis is raised at 240 mm the filament tubes and extruders cables comes in contact with the cover before that maximum Z height is reached.

I cannot close the cover when Z is fully up without the cables/tubes to bend. The extruders cables and the filaments tubes are out of the printer by about 20-30 mm for the cables and ~50 mm for the tubes.
The cable will have some friction against the top window. The material of the cable jacket is more sticky than the tubes and when the extruder start to move in a direction and back, the cable get some tension at its fixation point on the extruder.
The tubes are at an angle that will generate some extra friction to the filament and sharper turn.

Going to that height in case of pause, stop, completed state seems too critical, but when printing, the head will move fast and I see much more risk in such case.

Where some answer from Raide3D is needed are:

1) As 240 mm is the specified maximum build height, is it expected to have to open the cover when printing an object close to the maximum build height? Seems it is needed to open already at Z > 200 mm.

2) If the Z home can be maximum 239 mm in case of a pause and the max build height is 240 mm, what happen if an object is printed with 240mm height and I pause in the last mm, b.e. 239.4 mm ? Will it go down to 239 or stay where it is (239.4) ?

3) If Z home for pause is set to 100 mm and the print is currently at Z=120mm, will the Z axis goes down to 100 mm or just stay where it is?

I don't really want to waste long print time and filament to test just that or make a real long print to come to a failure just before it ends. Also the idea to buy an E2 was to be able to print big and with non PLA materials requiring higher temperature and the cover closed.

Did anybody printed already successfully up to 240 mm height with cover closed on the E2?
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: E2 extruders cables and tubes touch the cover

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:07 am

1. The guide tube and the cable will rub against the top lid however they will only do so when the printer passes 200mm in Z-height and at the point it can not print for longer than 20 hours. Even with that being said we have tested in an extreme case the filament guide tube as well as the extruder connection cable rubbing against the top lid for weeks on end and there was no issues with the cable or guide tube. However there can be some scuffs left on the top lid which should be able to be wiped away.
2. In this case the printer would remain at a height of 239.4mm
3. It would remain at the height of the model that is being printed. So in that case it would stay at 120mm

Blue21

Re: E2 extruders cables and tubes touch the cover

Postby Blue21 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:1. The guide tube and the cable will rub against the top lid however they will only do so when the printer passes 200mm in Z-height and at the point it can not print for longer than 20 hours. Even with that being said we have tested in an extreme case the filament guide tube as well as the extruder connection cable rubbing against the top lid for weeks on end and there was no issues with the cable or guide tube. However there can be some scuffs left on the top lid which should be able to be wiped away.

Yes, that should be the final part of a large print and the time is limited but when you watch it, it looks like torture for the cable connection to the extruder, let's hope the materials and the wires will resist to that.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:2. In this case the printer would remain at a height of 239.4mm
3. It would remain at the height of the model that is being printed. So in that case it would stay at 120mm

Thanks for the clarifications, all good.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Return to “E2”