Buildtak Alternatives

leonhart8888

Buildtak Alternatives

Postby leonhart8888 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi All,

So I've had lots of experience with Buildtak in general, especially with ABS.

I know from experience that the traditional Buildtak adhesive does not last long when printing with ABS. You tend to get bubbles on the Buildtak, which is mostly caused from the weak adhesive on the back of the sheet de-laminating from the build plate because of the "stickiness" of ABS.

Has anyone switched to a different build surface sheet that has stronger adhesive on the back? For example, the adhesive on the Flashforge buildtak sheets is a really strong 3M adhesive and lasts a very, very long time.

ccclarke

Re: Buildtak Alternatives

Postby ccclarke » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Have you considered GeckoTek?

https://www.geckotek.co/

CCC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

leonhart8888

Postby leonhart8888 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:09 pm

I haven't but I've found big sheets of blue buildtak which I'm using at the moment from Mech E-store.

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:41 am

leonhart8888 wrote:Hi All,

I know from experience that the traditional Buildtak adhesive does not last long when printing with ABS. You tend to get bubbles on the Buildtak, which is mostly caused from the weak adhesive on the back of the sheet de-laminating from the build plate because of the "stickiness" of ABS.

Has anyone switched to a different build surface sheet that has stronger adhesive on the back? For example, the adhesive on the Flashforge buildtak sheets is a really strong 3M adhesive and lasts a very, very long time.

for ABS I use Dimafix on the buildtak. I use Gecko cold for PLA, Buildtak with Dimafix for ABS/ASA, and Buildtak Nylon + for nylong
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Raise3d E2 w/SliceEngineer
Prusa MK3s Custom designed (Uploaded at Grabcad)
Prusa Mini
Creality CR-30 Beltprinter

leonhart8888

Postby leonhart8888 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:56 pm

The issue isnt adhesion to the build surface, it's that buildtak tends to bubble and peel away because they use weak adhesive - especially if you print lots of abs. The blue sheet I got has 3m adhesive on it which will last longer.

suso barral

Postby suso barral » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:34 pm

FOGD.NO wrote:
leonhart8888 wrote:Hi All,

for ABS I use Dimafix on the buildtak. I use Gecko cold for PLA, Buildtak with Dimafix for ABS/ASA, and Buildtak Nylon + for nylong

So can dimafix be used on buildtack without risk of damaging the sheet?
Thanks

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:04 pm

suso barral wrote:
Thanks

Sure.. I use Dimafix all the time on Buildtak
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Raise3d E2 w/SliceEngineer
Prusa MK3s Custom designed (Uploaded at Grabcad)
Prusa Mini
Creality CR-30 Beltprinter

suso barral

Postby suso barral » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:10 pm

FOGD.NO wrote:
suso barral wrote:
Thanks

Thanks
Good weekend!!
Suso

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:56 pm

I have N2 printers. PEI is my build surface of choice, but I wanted to get away from the double-faced adhesive.
I made magnetic plates and use powder coated PEI flex build plates. Love this setup. I still have to use the glued PEI beds for massive parts that might warp and lift the flex plates off the magnets, but for most stuff this works great. https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 88&p=55221

disser

Postby disser » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 am

I ordered a "ENERGETIC Custom 256x368mm Double Side Textured PEI Powder Coated Spring Steel Sheet Build Plate for Raise3d E2 Printer Hot Bed" from aliexpress.com recently. Won't know how it works until it gets here in a couple months.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 am

I got a couple of those for my N2. I was hard on them - running PPE at the time so they each have hundreds of PETG face shields on them and I didn't let them cool well between runs. One has a fair bit of the PEI missing on it - the other one has scattered small specks. The smooth side seems pretty fragile. I put a lot of miles on them though and they worked well. I still have them if I need a plate to abuse.

More recently I've been running these: https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/ezfl ... i-coating/
So far they are holding up well and the price is great.

PPprinter

Postby PPprinter » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:11 pm

FOGD.NO wrote:
suso barral wrote:
Thanks

At which temperature you heat up the bed when you use Dimafix on Builbtak? 100 degrees Celsius? Or less high?

Return to “E2”