Buildtak Alternatives

leonhart8888

Buildtak Alternatives

Postby leonhart8888 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi All,

So I've had lots of experience with Buildtak in general, especially with ABS.

I know from experience that the traditional Buildtak adhesive does not last long when printing with ABS. You tend to get bubbles on the Buildtak, which is mostly caused from the weak adhesive on the back of the sheet de-laminating from the build plate because of the "stickiness" of ABS.

Has anyone switched to a different build surface sheet that has stronger adhesive on the back? For example, the adhesive on the Flashforge buildtak sheets is a really strong 3M adhesive and lasts a very, very long time.

ccclarke

Re: Buildtak Alternatives

Postby ccclarke » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Have you considered GeckoTek?

https://www.geckotek.co/

CCC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

leonhart8888

Postby leonhart8888 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:09 pm

I haven't but I've found big sheets of blue buildtak which I'm using at the moment from Mech E-store.

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:41 am

leonhart8888 wrote:Hi All,

So I've had lots of experience with Buildtak in general, especially with ABS.

I know from experience that the traditional Buildtak adhesive does not last long when printing with ABS. You tend to get bubbles on the Buildtak, which is mostly caused from the weak adhesive on the back of the sheet de-laminating from the build plate because of the "stickiness" of ABS.

Has anyone switched to a different build surface sheet that has stronger adhesive on the back? For example, the adhesive on the Flashforge buildtak sheets is a really strong 3M adhesive and lasts a very, very long time.

for ABS I use Dimafix on the buildtak. I use Gecko cold for PLA, Buildtak with Dimafix for ABS/ASA, and Buildtak Nylon + for nylong

leonhart8888

Postby leonhart8888 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:56 pm

The issue isnt adhesion to the build surface, it's that buildtak tends to bubble and peel away because they use weak adhesive - especially if you print lots of abs. The blue sheet I got has 3m adhesive on it which will last longer.

Return to “E2”