E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Blue21

Re: E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Postby Blue21 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 pm

So after my email to inquiry@raise3d.com with copy of my 3 questions in this thread,

1 Can the HEPA filter for the enclosure at the rear of E2 be turned off after some given timeout ?
2 Is there some version (hardware or firmware) that can do it and some not ?
3 If it can be done, how to set it ?

they opened me an account, created a ticket and ...
to get as answer that I need to contact my reseller as I am based in Europe.

Vicky@Raise3D, thanks for your answer but in the case of many, it is just not working.
When I ask through my reseller why and provide my log files, raise3d says they need the gcode (my issue is not printing) and to update the E2 (which is always running latest version, read the logs). Last was that the right extruder didn't reach temperature in time and they asked I swap the connectors of the extruders !!!

My reseller is still trying to get answer from raise3d.

I give up, enough time wasted.

The machine run fine but as soon it will have a problem I don't see any chance to get support. I ordered in the meantime a Prusa so I have more time to found another 3D printer when my E2 will have issue and need support.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 am

I'm also going through my UK suppler about this and another problem, it seems that Raise3d give a simiar response to them like we get here and do not seem really concerned. My UK supplier is really trying to be helpful, but without a meaningful response from Raise3D I think we are fighting a losing battle.
Perhaps if they start getting a few printers returned because of poor support and customers refunded they might be more prepared to actually do something.
Like someone posted previously, a £700 printer is capable of switching unwanted fans off, but a £3,300 printer is not capable of getting such an elementary feature working. I suppose it just looks good in the settings menu for sales purposes.

If it isn't broke why mend it ? We have yet to see an answer as to why some E2 printers have this feature working and some do not......what did they change ?
We know the firmware was updated but that version was not released as an upgrade and that seems to be the point where control of the Hepa fan was left out and they don't seem inclined to put it back in.

Perhaps it's all down to one of the developers making a mistake and pride stops them admitting it.

I'm still sitting on the fence about returning mine after discussions with my supplier, so it will not take much to make me return it as faulty.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 am

Well, that's at least 3 of us now that have this issue. I can also confirm that the latest firmware, 1.4.3.806 still controls the HEPA fan on my first machine but not my second. I, therefore, conclude one of 2 things has happened.

1. These later machines have the HEPA fan connected to a different incorrect pin header on the mainboard which is not firmware controlled.
2. Raise3D has changed the board removing the ability to control this fan/pin header via firmware.

If the former (1), then maybe this can be corrected by changing the pin header the fan is connected to.
If the latter (2), then the least Raise3D can do is tell us, as surely someone will know changes made to the later machines.

I still think it quite shocking at the poor level of support being provided by Raise3D. It IS clearly a fault as the software menus provide an option for control of exhaust and side fans (btw I have no idea what it means by 'side' fans) and this works correctly on one of my 2 machines. So, with a feature option in the menus, it cannot be intentional.

Raise3D, please take this seriously and identify the issue and provide a fix, or it looks like you will be getting a number of machines returned.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:14 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Sorry for late reply.
Yes, you can set the fan to turn off when the machine is idle. The option is under Setting>Machine>More Settings>Advanced Settings>Power off the exhaust fan and side fans when printer is idle.

Would you like to add any comment as to why these instructions do not work on machines sent out with vers. 1.4.0.323 software installed and the latest update does not rectify it ?

If there is no explanation as to why this has happened and if nothing is being done to rectify it, then I will be returning my machine as faulty and not as described. The fact that I am now on my third filament sensor doesn't help either !!!!!

The ball is now in your court.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 pm

OK, I take it that Raise3D has no fix for this HEPA fan issue on the later machines then? Still no new response here or on my ticket via the supplier. This will be another one that gets returned then. Shame. I will be requesting a return and refund tomorrow then.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for bringing the HEPA filter fan's issue to us. We have already forwarded the issue over to developing team and they have involved both software and hardware teams to work together to get the issue fixed as soon as possible.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Thanks for bringing the HEPA filter fan's issue to us. We have already forwarded the issue over to developing team and they have involved both software and hardware teams to work together to get the issue fixed as soon as possible.

So does it means that finally there is an issue ?

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 am

Blue21 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Thanks for bringing the HEPA filter fan's issue to us. We have already forwarded the issue over to developing team and they have involved both software and hardware teams to work together to get the issue fixed as soon as possible.

So does it means that finally there is an issue ?

Well I hope " getting the issue fixed as soon as possible " doesn't take as long as it has to finally acknowledge the problem, three weeks from the first post about this crippled firmware.

Will this crippled firmware fault be resolved before suppliers have a few returned faulty printers in their warehouses ?
Because if the reply from Raise3D to my suppliers today is a pie in the sky " as soon as possible " then my printer will be returned also.

It isn't looking good at the moment because I have not had an email from my supplier that Raise3D have replied to them, and my supplier whom I cannot fault is usually on the ball straight away.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 pm

I am delighted to say that the fix for the HEPA fan issue is very simple. For machines exhibiting this issue the fan connector simply needs to be switched to the next but one connector on the motherboard. All in all less than a 2 minute job that simply requires a 2mm hex wrench.

I now have 2 super silent machines when in idle :) A huge thanks to 3DGBIRE for amazing service and support (assisted no doubt by Raise3D). Thanks all.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 13.23.20.png

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Full document instructions attached.

Yes, 3DGBire are really awsome with their customer service.......
It seems unless I read the email wrong that Raise3D compared their in house printers with a new one from the warehouse and discovered this assembly mistake.
Attachments
Troubleshooting E2 - How to deal with HEPA fan not turning off - V1.0.docx
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 45 times

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:31 pm

My god, thanks for sharing the info, nice quality control during manufacturing.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Mine now switches the Hepa fan off after a delay as it should, however the fan still has no way to just turn it off that I can find.

So the fan is still running all the time I'm doing a print even when it isn't required. Looks like I'll still have to put a manual on/off switch in the fan line.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Done the modification, mine was not at correct position.
A short test and YES it turn off after the delay. Seems it don't turn on when you wake-up the printer from sleep.
I was afraid it is not working, I tried a "load filament" and the fan stays off, I would expect that heating an extruder would wake it up.
Tried a small print and after bed leveling the fan turned on.
Thanks to all, almost 50 posts to achieve it :lol:

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Well, now we know software control of this fan does work I expect this will be a possible feature that can be added, should Raise3D deem to do so. It would be nice to have a screen option to turn off entirely, or even better have the machine turn it on or off depending on the filament type chosen. But that may be a step too far :)

@Vicky - could the ability to have fan on/off control as well as time delay shut off be added as a feature request?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Please make sure you have updated your firmware to the latest released version in our download center and go through the document Bikeracer shared above to make sure the feature has been enabled properly. If you still see issues on your printer, please let us know.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:34 am

Aero3D wrote:Well, now we know software control of this fan does work I expect this will be a possible feature that can be added, should Raise3D deem to do so. It would be nice to have a screen option to turn off entirely, or even better have the machine turn it on or off depending on the filament type chosen. But that may be a step too far :)

@Vicky - could the ability to have fan on/off control as well as time delay shut off be added as a feature request?

Will forward your request over to developing team.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Will forward your request over to developing team.

Thank you Vicky

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 am

Another procedure - another revision:

Raise3D: Going forward - An operator does not "click on" anything on a touch panel display. They "select" options or "press icons". There is no such thing as a "fixing screw." They're called "retaining screws". You don't "unscrew or tighten screws" you "remove and reinstall screws". It's pretty common knowledge that screws must be loosened and tightened to get them in and out of a threaded hole.

A more descriptive procedure title never hurts either.

A "world class" 3D printer deserves nothing less than world class documentation. It takes extra work but its worth it to ensure customer satisfaction and fewer repair tickets for the Service Department, saving time and money. Customer satisfaction = more sales.

CCC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks for your suggestions!
We are currently in progress of reviewing all our current documents all through to improve the language and expressions to see whether we can explain the steps to be more clear and easier for users to understand.
If you have more suggestions, please feel free to let us know.

Lipp

Postby Lipp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 am

My E2 Exhaust Fan is not turning off either when idle and have timeout set to 2 minutes, using FW version 1.4.3.806. Does anyone have the Noctua part number that will replace this fan? Here is the link to the NF-A8 (80mm) models, just don't know which one is compatible with the stock E2 fan p/n: JFX8025S12H?

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

Return to “E2”